Chapter 7

The Human Mind is Not a Terribly Logical or Consistent Place

Chapter 7

I ran towards the bridge with Leo in tow hearing whispers of Kirk and an unknown man appearing on the ship. The bridge doors whooshed open as I stepped into the bridge slightly saluting Spock as I walked towards him. “Ah yes Dr. Pike, it seems Kirk and another man have appeared on our ship,” Spock spoke calmly.

“And Why do you need me?” I asked looking at him.

“If they do not cooperate is why you are here,” Spock said sternly as the bridge’s doors opened. Kirk and another man were ushered in by the security guards as Spock moved towards them. Leo placed his hand on my back reassuring me that nothing bad would happen.

“Surprise,” Kirk smiled cockily as Spock ignored him.

“Who are you?” Spock asked towards the unknown man who was severely confused.

“He’s with me,” Kirk answered for him.

“We’re traveling at warp, how did you manage to get aboard this ship?” Spock asked sternly.

“You’re the genius you figure it out,” Kirk said staring back at Spock.

“As Captain of this vessel I order you to answer the question or suffer the consequences,” Spock said as Kirk eyed my saddened face.

“Well I’m not telling. Captain,” Kirk said confounding Spock. “Does that frustrate you? My lack of cooperation... does it make you angry?” Kirk finishes but Spock ignores him.

“You are not a member of this ship’s crew. Under penalty of court martial, I order you to explain to me how you beamed ab--” Spock said focusing on the man again.

“-- Don’t answer him,” Kirk order the man who got more confused.

“You will answer me,” Spock ordered as all eyes turned to the man who froze.

“I’d rather not take sides,” he spoke laughing lightly. 

Spock nodded back to the security guards, “Escort them to the brig.” But before the guards could do so Kirk interrupted.

“What is it about you, Spock? Your planet was just destroyed -- your mother murdered -- and you’re not even upset?” Kirk’s words were strong as I stood in shock realizing what he was trying to do.

“Your presumption that these experiences interfere with my abilities to command this ship is inaccurate--,” Spock defended.

“Ha! And yet you said fear was necessary for command. I mean -- did you see that bastard’s ship? Did you see what he did?” Kirk fought pushing Spock’s buttons slightly.

“Yes, of course I --” Spock said tensely before being cut off again

“So are you afraid or aren’t you?!” Kirk asked getting louder

“I will not . . . allow you to lecture me about merits of emotion.” Spock said getting tenser. Kirk moves closer to Spock as everyone in the room watches the scene before us.

“Then why don’t you stop me,” Kirk pushed. I breath in as I look over to Sarek who watches the event in front of him.

“Step away from me, Mr. Kirk,” Spock said trying to stay calm.

“What is it like? Not to feel? Anger. Or heartbreak. Or the need to stop at nothing to avenge the death of the woman who gave birth to you?!” Kirk yelled getting closer. I stepped forward slightly getting ready to intervene.