{ n i n e }

I called a cab as soon as I got out of the restaurant. Because I couldn't drive. I hated my helplessness. I hated myself for not being with my brother when he need me. I hated that I wasn't there to share my family's sorrow. I hated my actions, I hated my destiny.

I tell the cab driver the hospitals name and he starts driving towards the place my brother has been confined due to his illness, his body fighting against him, against his survival.

I tap my phones screen restlessly and call my mother a couple of times,but she doesn't answer so I decide to call Dad, he will answer my call.
In the third ring he answers.

"Dad what happened to Alex?! How is he?"

"Rebbeca" I hear him say "Alex is fine except tha-" before he can continue I hear frankie's voice asking my dad to get the "prescribed medicines" he ends the line.

There is no use asking anyone about anything. I will know as soon as I get to the hospital. I say a silent prayer to God to protect my brother and hope that  it is nothing major. But my heart know that I'm wrong.

************

I sit next to Alex's bed in the luxurious private hospital. I look at his state, needles in his wrist to supply glucose in his bloodstream, oxygen tanks tube on his nose and the different kinds of machine to  keep a check on his heart beat, tubes stocked to his body. These needles in and out of his body are his life line. To keep him alive as his lungs and heart won't.

The room is large and mostly white. There is a Television just in front of the bed, White colour sofas a wash basin 2 side tables and of course a bed. I'm sitting on a chair beside my brothers bed.

The doctor said that it was a kind of panic attack due to the insufficient amount of oxygen reaching his lungs, he also said they have removed the tumour in his throat which was a root cause and Alex will be fine in a couple of days. I thanked the doctor for his efforts and quick actions.

I insisted mom and dad to go home as they looked exhausted, when I reached the hospital Alex was in the emergency room for his urgent surgery.

I requested the hospital security for not allowing the media to know anything about my brother. They agreed. 

I see Frankie walk in the room holding 2 cups of take away, coffee I think and a paper bag containing edibles. He sits on the sofa and keeps the bag down.

"I brought you coffee." He declares as if I don't know.
"I don't want" I don't complete my sentence, it's simple. He doesn't argue. When he takes the cookies out I, for the first time notice how hungry I actually am, I feel my stomach grumble as he finishes the whole cookie. I don't say anything.

Frankie comes near me and I shift to face him. He puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Not eating just because Alex isn't well is not accurately going to better his health and it will worsen yours, look at you its 12 at night and I brought coffee for you, you haven't eaten anything since you came." I turn away from him "Alex will be fine, I mean he is, he will be mad if you don't eat and then who will take care of him? Huh, why do you always hurt yourself just to take care of others?"

I don't answer.

"Why B? Why?" Now I look back at him and say "because I want to drink coffee." We both start laughing and he hands me the takeaway cup.

"But seriously why."

Because some questions are not meant to be answered

**************

I had texted Dr.Luke that would not be able to see him for finalising any song and I requested my manager to cancel any interviews, auditions, meetings. She said that I was lucky that I wasn't scheduled for them.