Prologue

I almost believed in love. Maybe I did, but getting involved in a relationship would be the very last thing on my list. I want to achieve so much in life that entering a relationship would be too much of a hassle. Second, I have seen lots of broken hearts (from my separated parents to my friends getting dumped by their boyfriends or girlfriends) in my twenty five years of existence to believe that there is true love. Add to the list my best friend, Cressida, who never settles in a serious relationship. Last, I have yet to feel any romantic attraction toward anybody after Fatima, my ex girlfriend, took her own life five years ago.

That was until I felt someone rushed past me while I was waiting for the light to turn green so I can cross one of the busy streets of MakatiCity. The light turned yellow when a girl, no a lady, came out of nowhere and stepped on the highway. A red mustang rushed, trying to beat the lights. My heart pounded hard as I saw the lady about to cross the street. I was afraid she might get hit so I quickly grabbed her wrist. I pulled her to me and wrapped her in my arms. My heart hammered inside my chest not knowing whether it was because of the fact that she was almost hit by a car or the fact that she was beautiful.

"Geez, that was so close. Are you trying to get yourself killed?" I spoke hurriedly. When I turned to her, I saw her cheeks redden in embarrassment.

"I'm sorry... I better go; I will be late for work," she said timidly before she disentangled herself from me and took off. "Thanks, by the way!" she shouted as she crossed the street, not even throwing a glance toward me.

Damn, I forgot to cross the street, and now I'm going to have to wait for the next green light. Thanks to the few seconds allotted to cross the street and to the small talk I managed to give. There goes my love at first... bump. I didn't even know her name. And my heart is still hammering inside my chest! But if she crosses this street every day at the same time, I would probably see her again, said my left subconscious. And what do you want to do? Wait for her tomorrow? asked my right subconscious. Maybe yes? Gosh, she's driving me crazy.

Her appearance registered quickly in my mind: deep brown eyes, plump pink lips, pointed nose, chestnut brown curly hair, petite body frame. She's a walking doll. Her pretty eyes were protected by her eye glasses. Probably a nerd, my mind said. She reminds me of someone, though I could not put a finger on it.

"Whatever. She's really...something," I hadmuttered to myself before I crossed the street. Running. Or I will be late formy first day as the executive vice president of my mother's company. 

*Bow*