Seventeen

© 2018, ItsLillieBro

Edited 09/06/2020

_____________

Hailey

It had been nearly a month, give or take, since Chase had told me everything. He had been including me in many pack responsibilities and pack affiliations. I was truly starting to understand what it meant to be apart of this life, and I was accepting it. Once I realized it wasn't changing anything between us, other than maybe making us closer, I was less against it. 

We were laying in Chase's bed and I had been thinking about our conversation we had a few weeks ago about mating and wanted to talk to him about it. As I stared at our intertwined hands as he rubbed his thumb across mine, I worked up the nerve to bring it up. 

"Chase," I said, immediately beginning to back out of my original plan.

"Yes?" he asked patiently.

"I think I-" I started before I was interrupted. 

"Alpha Chase!" An unknown pack member shouted, bursting into the room.

A sound I had rarely heard erupted deep from Chase's chest as he pushed me behind him and out of the man's view.

"This better be about life or death," he snarled and I placed my hand on his back. He relaxed a bit, but not much.

"It's about your sister, Macy," he answered quietly. 

I followed Chase hurriedly through the halls of the pack house. My heart and mind were keeping pace with each other, both racing faster than I could process. We still had no idea what had happened, we just know it was something life-threatening. 

I winced as Chase's words to the man rang in my head, "This better be about life or death." 

If something had happened to his big sister he would never forgive himself.

She was being taken care of in the infirmary, which until then I had no idea existed. His father and mother, along with his aunt and uncle, were waiting in front of a large door when we arrived. Chase's petite mother embraced him quickly, before letting him move onto his father. Her eyes met mine as I walked closer, the pain I saw in her eyes lured me to her. I opened my arms and she fell into me sobbing. I knew the pain and fear that she was feeling and I wished so badly that I could take it all away. As she calmed down she stepped back giving me a light, but forced, smile. Mr. Willix pulled her into him as she trembled.

"So," Chase spoke softly, trying to stay strong for his family. 

The shaking in his voice made me want to hold him and hide him from all the pain in the world, if only I could actually do that.

"What happened?" Chase asked trying to control the steadiness of his voice.

"Matthew is gone on pack business, as you know. He didn't want her staying alone since she's so far along in her pregnancy, he gets nervous about her even more now. She was supposed to come to our house, but hadn't gotten there yet. Your mother went to check on her and found her in a pool of her own blood. We got her treated as soon as we could. We just hope it will be soon enough," he explained. 

I could tell Chase's father was struggling to speak, but knew he had to talk about it.

This time I spoke, "Has someone contacted Matthew?"

Chase's father shook his head, "No, we haven't yet. We wanted him to focus."

Chase shook his head and said, "I agree to an extent, but he's going to know, Dad. He will feel it through the mate bond."