2.6 : motel california

Start from the beginning

My eyes go wide at her words, Lydia's grip to tight now that it feels like she could break my hand. "198?" She whispers in disbelief.

"And counting."

▲▼

"198?" Allison repeats, drying off her hair from the bathroom.

"Yes, in 40 years," Lydia sighs, plopping down on our bed. "On average that's . . 4.5 a year! Which . . is actually expected."

Allison saunters in the room, tugging her shirt over her head. "All suicides?"

"Yes! Hanging, throat cutting, pill popping, shotgun barrels in the mouth," Lydia rambles, her eyes glazed over. "I don't know about you, but me? I-"

Her sentence is abruptly cut off, her face in intense focus. Allison and I exchange odd looks at her sudden change.

"Did you hear that?" She looks up to us.

"Hear what.."

Her head turns slowly, her face looking like she had just seen a ghost. Please tell me she hadn't just seen a ghost.

She climbs atop the bed, her painted bare feet walking across it until she reached a vent on the wall. She was staring at it intently- Listening in on whatever we couldn't hear. "Oh my god, oh my god," She whispered to herself.

"Lydia?" I raise my voice, an edge of authority in my voice.

She suddenly jumps backwards, nearly falling off of the bed until I grabbed her and helped her to her feet. Her eyes are fully welled with tears, her hand covering her mouth in shock.

"What is it Lydia, what happened?" Allison rushes.

"Didn't you hear that?"

"The people in the other room," She panics, pushing past both of us. "They shot each other!"

Without warning she takes off through the door in pursuit of the room next to us. She doesn't hesitate to open the door, taking a few steps in. I try the light switch, but it doesn't work. Lydia begins to walk further into the room, while Allison and I stay grounded.

"Lydia," Allison seethes, "What are you doing?"

"Hello?" Lydia calls out timidly, searching around. Her hands find a large construction light and slowly turns it on, illuminating the room. We weren't expecting to see what we saw.

Paint cans were splayed around the room, newspapers on the grounds, lights everywhere- They were only renovating the room. There was no couple in here, no spilled blood.

"No, no," Lydia shakes her head, looking around the room. "It had to be right here! There was a guy and a girl, and they sounded younger, but- They were here!"

She looks to me with pleading eyes, but I can't believe her story. I cross my arms and look down at my feet.

"I believe you," Allison speaks up, "After everything we've been through, I believe you."

A sigh escapes from my lips and I press my fingers to my temple.

"Guys," I yawn, backing out of the room, "I'm really tired, I'm going back to the room. Please don't stay up all night trying to 'Nancy Drew' this."

When they don't reply I continue my walk back towards our room, shutting the door behind me. I lean my head against it, shutting my eyes. Whatever Lydia thought she was hearing- I wanted no part in it. I already had enough on my plate.

A considerably loud buzzing sound erupts to my left, causing my eyes to fly open. They trail over to the TV stand, where my phone resides, it's screen lit up brightly. My eyebrows furrow in confusion- I could have sworn I had my cell phone with me this whole time.