Moon

The pale moonlight illuminated our interwoven hands that muddled  into a lock that we vowed to keep as a promise.

Sworn with a seal coming from your skin marking my temple that drifted downwards to the knuckles on my hand until you reached high again to silence my laugh that indicated pure euphoria amongst all else. With that swear locked in place, a promise was born.

One that included all bets laid out on the table haphazardly, begging to be dealt with carefully.

I promise to love you as long as I live.

The moonlight's gaze crawled up to your face and you smiled so brightly that I swear you could rival the moon. You winked and in an instant we were on the highway howling away out at the open windows. Releasing all inhibitions and problems for the wind to blow away and devour. Youth had never been better. Speeding away towards an unknown destination so long as the journey was all that matters.

We felt in control.

Although your hands were steady on the driving wheel just like the way you held unto mine I couldn't help but notice a slight tremble in them whenever I circle my thumb on your palm. We loved every single journey though. Every distance that was like an infinity in length because we didn't bother thinking of the end.

With a jolt, there is this distance between us. Paralled to an extreme that its infinite length leaves me to feel a definite sadness and so I wish to cut across. To reach you and take you with me till we reach that unknown destination like always. Except I need it to be a sure never ending journey.

Why is it that the path that I would always take before leads me to you but now it keeps me at a parallel.

There you are at the opposite way of me, laughing and smiling so brightly with your arms around her that actually brought me to the harsh reality that I was not the only star in your sky.

Because all the times we had together made me forget that there were other stars surrounding you; twinkling more and more to seize your attention.

How lucky the moon really is for there was your new star basking in your bright smile, outshining me more than ever. How time changes so painfully fast as a promise is made. How painful it is when you give away all your bets without even thinking and you lose because you believed that a promise will keep you irreplaceable and infinite. It left you robbed with the most important ability for a brokenhearted person to possess. Acceptance. The ability to embrace closure.

It was as if my battered heart was talking to me tiredly, "When you love you just love. Don't make any promises. It will only lead to disappointments."