Chapter Seven

I got into a hallway. I saw the door to get the key. I started to walk towards the door. This would be easy, right?

"Jordy?" I heard a voice ask. That voice. I haven't heard that voice in a long time. I turn around, and there she was. Her brown hair hasn't changed since I last saw her. The wedding dress she was wearing worked with her long brown hair.

"Gretchen," I whisper. She ran up to me and gave me a hug.

"Oh my god, Jordy! I haven't seen you in so long. When did you start working for the Guard?" She asked me. I hugged her back, but didn't answer. How could I?

"Um, I'm glad to see you, but I've got to get the key for the cells," I told her. We let go of each other.

"Well, it was great to see you!" Gretchen exclaimed. She then ran off in the other direction. I took in deep breath. I walked over to the door with the keys. I put my hand on the doorknob and twisted it open.

As I walked into the room, I felt absolutely terrified. There was nobody else in the room, except the Guard. He was WAY too big to knock down. But I could try. Nobody else would see. But if I failed...

I walked over to the man. Yup. Way too big for me.

"You need the key," I heard Jon say though my comm.

"Hello, sir. I need the key to the cells. Transfer to death row," I told him in my deep voice. He pulled a clipboard off the table and looked at it. I saw a wanted poster next to where I was standing. It had me on it. I grabbed it quickly and ripped it up. The man looked up at me with an eyebrow raised.

"New information that he's dead," I tried to say in the most menacingly way possible. He looked at me for a second and then looked back at the clipboard. He looked confused.

"There isn't a moving to death row until tomorrow," he said. His voice was deeper than any noise I've ever heard before. Uh-oh. I better come up with something quick.

"Oh, sorry. Said that wrong. I got somebody that needs to be put on wait for death row," I told him. I could feel a bead of sweat falling down my head.

"Name?" He said. Inside joke? I laughed. It wasn't an inside joke.

"Name?" he asked again. I took a gulp.

"Samus," I say right away. He smiled.

"That man. You finally got him?" He laughed as he grabbed the key.

"Yeah," I laugh to go along. He hands me the key.

"Put him in solitary confinement, right next to Lizre," he smiles. I smile back. I walk to the door and walk out. I let out my breath in relief. I got the key. Apparently, that was the easiest part, according to Samus. I started to walk down the hall when I saw Stepharie. I pulled the keys up to my face. She smiled. 

"The entrance is this way," Steph said as she pointed to a hallway. I was following her when I saw a sheet on the ground. It had a picture of both Trech and Gretchen on it. I picked it up. Oh no. It was a wedding invitation. Trech and Gretchen are getting married!? That's why Gretchen was wearing a wedding dress! I didn't have the time to get angry. I threw the invitation on the ground and raced after Steph. She led me around corners and everything until we ended up at an elevator shaft, except there was no elevator. Samus was standing by it.

"I sent the elevator up to the top level. That gives us about two minutes to get up and down. Jordy, you and Stepharie will go down. I'll wait for you two. Here are a pair of gloves for Lizre for climbing up," he informed us. I slipped on a pair of gloves and put the keys in my pocket. I Put my hands on the metal thing and jumped down. I slid down with minimal pain in my hands. It took about thirty seconds to slide down to the bottom level. I waited until Steph got down.  Once she was down, we headed into the cells.