Chapter 29

I was lying in bed, thinking about Haiden. That was all I really did nowadays. With my guardians treating me like a wounded creature, they stuck me in my room and told me to heal. They wouldn't let me leave and that left me with nothing to do but wonder about Haiden.

    It had been a week since I'd seen him and I wondered if he missed me like I missed him. Deep down I doubted it, but I liked to believe I meant something to him. All those moments we shared together had to have meant something, which was why I kept replaying those moments in my mind, wanting to relive them. And that was when I thought about Haiden's past.

    A part of me could barely look at my guardians due to Haiden's past. Knowing that the hunters were the reasons why his parents were dead, I felt sick. I felt horrible because I was a demon hunter and that meant I supported them. Because I was healing I didn't need to work with them, but I was growing anxious as I knew eventually I would have to be back at their sides.

    Sitting up, I wondered if my guardians were a part of it. With the topic in my mind and with them home for once, I wanted to get some answers. If only to calm my sickened gut, I got out of bed and went downstairs. My heart began to race as I hoped my guardians had nothing to do with the death of Haiden's parents.

    I entered the kitchen and saw Chelsea and Peter standing by the stove. They were cooking pasta and I stared at them, noticing how happy them seemed as they laughed together. It was hard to believe they were capable of murder, but I learned everyone was capable of unbelievable things.

    "Chelsea, Peter," I said, bringing their attention to me.

    The both of them turned to face me and their eyes held worry when they saw me. After being a hostage, they thought I needed to be treated like I was a delicate thing. It seemed like they thought I would break, which I didn't like. I had been through a lot in the past and being a simple hostage who had lots of freedom wasn't going to kill me.

    "Sweetheart, shouldn't you be in bed?" Chelsea asked gently. "You were shot. You need a lot of rest to heal.

    "I'm fine," I said honestly. "I was only grazed by the bullet. It wasn't that serious."

    "Still," Peter said. "You should rest."

    "Look, I have questions," I said bluntly.

    Chelsea and Peter stared at me, seeming uneasy. They had every right to look that way because the questions I would ask were questions that wouldn't be easy to answer.

    "Is it true that the demon hunters killed Haiden's entire village?" I asked, serious. "Answer honestly."

    Chelsea paled and Peter looked away. The both of them looked ashamed and that gave me the answer I didn't want. I felt my heart drop.

    "Why are you asking?" Peter asked.

    "Just answer." I could hardly look at him. "Please."

    "Yes, the demon hunters killed his village," Chelsea answered softly. "We weren't a part of that, but it was done."

    I couldn't believe it. It was all their fault Haiden became the way he was. It was all their fault he was hurting. I did love them, but for a mere moment I didn't want to be a part of their family anymore.

    "Why?" I asked, eyes growing watery.

    "Please understand that they had a deadly weapon in their village," Peter said, his eyes sad. "Apparently they were going to use it against our town because they wanted more land. The demon hunters were only trying to protect their citizens."

    My heart froze at his words. My eyes widened as well. Staring at him, I couldn't believe what he said. I couldn't believe there was another side to the story.

    "What?" I asked, stunned.

    "They had a weapon in their hands," Peter repeated. "We don't know what it was, but it was dangerous. So dangerous that our town could've been wiped out. We had to take them out before they took us out. That's why his village was killed."

    Staring at him, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was too horrible to be true and once again, I was torn between Haiden and my guardians. I didn't know whose side to choose as each side had flaws that made them seem not worth it.

    "The demon hunters aren't bad people," Chelsea said quietly. "We're just trying to do our best to help the people without special abilities."

    "You understand that, right?" Peter asked.

    I understood that. How could I not? My guardians and I were a part of this town. Everyone I had grown up was a part of the town Haiden's village was going to wipe out. It was either them or us that would've been killed, so I understood what the demons hunters did.

    But yet, I hated how Haiden had to lose everyone he loved. I hated how wounded their murders had left him. But then again, I hated how he didn't tell me what their village's plan was. I was sure he knew about it, but yet he chose not to tell me. It hurt and I had a bad feeling it was because he was using me.

    Closing my eyes momentarily, I found myself not knowing who to trust. It was so hard to know if Haiden truly did care about me and it was still hard to forget about him. He had done so much for me. More than anyone had ever done, but my guardians had also done a lot for me, too. Both parties were a big part of my life and I didn't know who I would pick to side with if I had to one day.

    "I know it's a lot to take in," Chelsea said softly. "Sleep dear. Don't worry about this."

    I couldn't not worry about what I found out, but I nodded anyways. Sighing lightly, I decided to go upstairs and sleep. With everything going on, sleep was the only time I felt like my life wasn't falling a part.