Chapter 5

It was my day off and Haiden was all I could think about. I still wanted to figure him out despite the way he treated me. I wanted to learn more about what he was, but the question was how. Frowning, I sat up in bed, my thin blue blanket sliding down.

Haiden was a werewolf and a criminal. The werewolf part made me uneasy and endless questions flooded into my mind as I wondered about the mythical creatures. How did they function in our world and how come no one knew about them was the biggest question, and getting an idea, I got out of bed.

There was one place with information about everything, and that was the library. Being a werewolf seemed like a huge thing, so I knew that I should learn more about that part of Haiden. Maybe then I would understand him better. And maybe then, his actions would also be justified.

*****

I stepped into the library, where rows of shelves covered half the room. The other half of the room consisted of studying tables and I went to the nonfiction section. Biting my lip, I went down the aisle, my hand gliding across the thick books as I looked for a book on werewolves or mythical creatures in general. It was a difficult task, but after an hour of searching I ended up with three huge books.

I brought the three books to an empty table and sat down. The library was empty on a Sunday, which I was thankful for. With a mission of figuring out Haiden on my mind, I wanted my complete focus on the books in front of me.

Opening the first book on werewolves, I learned about their background. Werewolves in America were werewolves through genetics. An ancestor of theirs had once been a werewolf, and that gene was passed down through their children. Unlike in the movies, a werewolf bite wasn't what created werewolves.

Reading the huge book, I learned more than I probably needed to know about werewolves. Admittedly, they were incredibly fascinating creatures. They were fast, strong, agile and incredibly protective of others. Their sense of smell was phenomenal and my heart softened when I read how werewolves loved like no other human.

    After reading about how painful it was to transform from human to wolf as your bones bended in impossible ways, I decided to take a break. Pushing the book away, I just sat in my spot, absorbing everything I learned. It was a lot and thinking about Haiden, I realized how different he was.

    It was cool to be a werewolf. The idea of turning into a majestic beast was a fantasy come true, but I also knew it must be tough. Humans had shunned werewolves, thinking they were dangerous, which was why no one knew about werewolves now. Werewolves were thought to be abnormal and thus often chose to isolate themselves, wishing to be free of judgement. Frowning, I wondered if Haiden had isolated himself, thinking life would be better off that way.

Staring at the table, I thought about how Haiden was a criminal. Werewolves emotions tended to be enhanced, which meant many of them had anger issues. Maybe that led to Haiden acting out and killing people? The thought made me shudder. I hated any idea of Haiden being a criminal.

Wondering if there were news reports, I decided to look for them. I had never heard about The Demons until the day at the cafe, so I had no idea about their crimes and how dangerous they were. Learning about that would help me learn more about Haiden, so I pushed my chair back.

But before I could get out of my chair, I heard someone say, "Luna."

    I whipped my head to look at who called me and I frowned at the sight of Blake there. He was walking up to me, smiling, and I wondered what he was doing at the library. Blake didn't read.