Kimiko's face was flushed, and I could tell she had been seriously angry. She stared at me with a slight frown and then nodded. She left the office quietly.

Mom's office was spacious, with a large, dark walnut table in the very center, facing the door. Behind her seat were ceiling to floor windows. Wasn't that dangerous? I'd always imagined that Mom could be shot dead through those windows. Lining the walls on the left were bookshelves. To the right were some filing cabinets and a TV hanging in the corner where Mom could see it. Her desk itself was cluttered with papers, folders, pens, a phone, and a desktop computer.

Mom cleared a few papers away and then folded her hands on the table. She was wearing a dark red and black kimono today. "I have good news for you, Rika."

Good news from Mom wasn't always good news for me. I nodded nervously. "What is it?" She smiled at me. "I have scheduled a date for you with Minoru-kun."

Oh God. Let's take a moment to throw up, wither, and die. I forced a smile though, and said, "What day is it?"

"Well it's not finalized yet, since Minoru-kun has been busy this summer with cram school. He's such a hard working boy, isn't he?" Mom smiled at me, waiting for my agreement. I nodded. "But I was hoping that it be after we visit your aunt. I'll be leaving tomorrow, anyway, and I'd like to be around when you go on your first date."

Thank goodness. "Mom, I'll go on the date and be civil and polite-"

"Of course you will," she said.

I paused. Maybe this was a good time to ask her about me being the heir. Akane had told me to ask my family, and if anyone would know about it, it'd be Mom. "Mom, am I the heir to the family businesses?" I asked.

She looked at me and then nodded. "Yes, you are." Then she gestured at the chair across her. "Go on and sit down, Rika. No need to stand."

I crossed the distance between us, my feet tapping quietly against the wooden floors, to the chair. I settled down, trying to make myself comfortable. "But why? Onee-san is older than me. Why wouldn't she get it?"

"It's been decided a long time ago that you'd be the heir," Mom replied calmly. "Even before you were born. Oh yes, it was when I found out that I was pregnant with a healthy child."

"Why not onee-san? She came out before me. She's older. She-"

"It's been decided, Rika," she snapped. "But why?"

"You don't need to know why," Mom said, crossing her arms. "I suppose one big reason is because you're more suited to be the heir. You have the brains and the talent. You have natural leadership skills, Rika."

"And Kimiko doesn't?" "Not as much."

I nodded, staring at my hands in my lap. I still didn't get it. Why was I the heir? Kimiko would be out of college in just a few years. She'd be available to start learning about the business, whereas I still had years of education waiting for me. I sighed.