Betrayal

I became surrounded by darkness. Have you ever see one of those movies in where the private eye wakes up after being knocked out cold? He always says the same thing: "Where am I?" Ok, it's not exactly original, but it was true. I had no idea where I was. Suddenly, a bright light appears, revealing to be my aunt wearing a long blue dress.

"We meet again Blair." She spoke caressing a hand on my cheek. "It's time you knew the truth." The scene changed to a pool in a cave. I recognized it immediately. It was the place where I learned the truth behind the death of my father. In the pool was a tall athletic man. He had black hair and eyes the color of the sea. There was a resemblance between me and that man. We had the same eyes and the same face structure.

"I shouldn't have dragged you into this, any of your family." My aunt said in regret next to me. "But you're in, and you need to know. I need to tell you. 500 years ago, The Oracle looked into the future. When your parents got married, 15 years ago, a prophecy had begun. An omen that would lead you to make a very important choice. That's why the council tried to kill you when you were so little and it's why no halfling has existed for 500 years until you were born."

"Aunt Kailani." I said, pointing to the man. "Who is that?"

There was a sharp intake of breath. "Blair, that...is your father."

I gasped. "My...my father?"

Right then, 2 mermaids popped up to the surface. One of them was my aunt but younger, but the other had black hair, noticeable freckles, and startling green eyes, that seemed to know what's going to happen.

"Kailani?" My apparent dad asked in his American accent. "Why was I summoned? And who's that?"

"You were summoned Harry, because your wife already knows the fate brought upon your daughter." The younger Kailani said back.

"What fate?" My dad asked.

"I am Silby." The raven haired mermaid said. "Oracle speaker of the prophecies of the council, defeaters of the Army of Triton. Approach seeker and ask."

"I heard that there was some fate brought upon my daughter." Harry said.

"Correct." Silby continued. "But before you learn the future, know first the past. Long ago, before you, before me, before most of us, mermen ruled the world. Using the trident, a weapon so destructive, not a single mermaid stood a chance against it. One merman saw wrong in his kind's actions and helped the prisoners escape. They destroyed the mermen army, and banished the trident, to the depth of a chamber on Mako Island. But, the trident is fated to be released from its prison. To lead a mermen to power over Mako... and the world. Only an eterothaleís, a half-blood child, conceived and carried by a mermaid and a human, can destroy the trident once and for all. This child, shall be our salvation, or the cause of our destruction. It all begins when a forbidden romance is sparked. A bond of love between 2 different worlds of the sea, and the world of land. And 2 nations shall conceive a child born from sea and land who shall reach 14 against what was planned. And to see her mother's pod in endless fear. For the frater soul, cursed weapon shall nearly cost dear. A single choice shall result in the betrayal of a friend, Mako Island to preserve, or end."

I stood there, stunned as a deer on a road. I could not believe my ears.

"Aunt Kailani." I spoke. "The mermaid council was really willing to kill me, an innocent child all because of some stupid prophecy they heard half a century ago?"

"Yes." She said in sobs.

"What if it's wrong?" I asked.

"Some things cannot be denied Blair." Kailani held my hand. I allowed a few tears to slip on my cheeks because I couldn't help but feel responsible for my father's death.