So Close, Yet so Far

I was at the reef swimming happily with the fish. It was nighttime and the moon was almost at it's fullest. A few more days and it would be another full moon for me to deal with. For me it would be a piece of cake. But for Zac... I wasn't so sure because it has been almost 2 months since "The Incident" happened. And by "The Incident", I mean of course the night Zac got turned into a merman. How that happened, I had no clue. Also I discovered why my tail has two different colors. They actually correspond to the astronomical lights of the day and night. By day, my tail, along with my bikini top, was gold, but by night, silver. Now that's an RVSP. I know that this was to be expected, but the ocean is like a second home for me. There's so much about it that we don't know, so many mysteries, so many secrets, and most importantly, the ocean is full of magic.

The next morning, I paced in my room, I couldn't help but think about the trident.

"Blair, we need to talk." I heard Zac as he came into my room. He then told me of his encounter with what he said was another merman on his swim back from Mako Island. I was a little shocked, because there were only one's merman's tail I had seen before, Zac's. I first concluded it was another fish or dolphin but when he told me the tail was bronze colored, I then figured maybe whoever had that tail was a merperson and their had a different color. I figured that all mermaids and mermen have different tail colors. But then I thought about the mermaids I encountered that night Zac became a fish boy. I tried to think about their tails. But the problem was, I kind of didn't get a really good look at their tails because I was too busy freaking out.

Later, came over as usual, and just as I predicted, Zac filled her in on what happened. Lyla, like me, dismissed it as a fish.

"No way it was a fish." Zac told Lyla.

"But you said you only saw the tail." She tried to explain.

"Yeah and I've never seen a fish with a tail like that." Zac retorted.

"Maybe it was a dolphin." Lyla concluded.

Zac scoffed. "That was no fish and it was no dolphin either."

"Turtle?" Lyla asked. Zac shook his head. "What else could it have been?"

"There are only 2 places, I've seen a tail anything like that before: on me and my sis." Zac theorized. "There's another merman out there."

"Or a halfling." I chimed in.

"I really doubt that." Lyla said dejectedly.

"Why?" I asked her. "Why would Zac and I be the only ones? No one's seen us. Who's to say there aren't others like us?"

"Think about it Blair." Lyla protested. "Your brother's got the trident on his mind and suddenly he's seeing mermen/halflings.

"That was no myth I saw." Zac said. "That was real."

"We should go out and see if that person is out there again." I suggested. "If we look in the reef, we could probably find him."

After Lyla left, Zac and I were left to our tools. Luckily, Cam came just when we were about to give up. And he came with good information. It wasn't a lot but it was just enough to suffice.

"Underwater caves?" Zac asked.

"That's what Evie said." Cam replied.

"There could be anything down there!" Zac exclaimed.

"Or anyone." I interjected.

"You know, Evie's kind of worried about you, Zac." Cam bluntly stated.

"You haven't told her anything." Zac asked worried. "Right? About with what's going on with us?"

"Wait, does Cam know about me?" I asked.