28.

Monday, July 29

The pavement rushes past my feet and my lungs burn from the cold air rushing into them. I have no idea where I'm going... but I can't seem to go fast enough.

My mind just keeps replaying his story, over and over. The sexy black eyed demon I love, murdering innocent children, hanging them on ropes. An image of a crying woman holding her child as flames consume them— their screams are deafening. I need to get away... I need— shit!

I quickly dodge to the right to avoid running smack into someone. That's when I realize how many people are watching me. Some seem concerned, like they wonder if they should help, others more like I've gone mad and should be checked for rabies.

Maybe I have gone mad.

I slow to a stop, completely out of breath, and come to two conclusions. 1. I am so fucking lost, and 2. I literally have one of my belongings— my dead cell phone. I note a coffee shop down the street. Maybe someone there will have a charger... I change direction and try to act calm as hell so these people will stop fucking staring.

"Excuse me, miss?" I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn, coming face to face with a blonde haired blue eyed man. "Are you okay?"

I shake my head and a laugh burst through my lips involuntarily. "No, I'm not. But it's not really your problem."

He reaches out to stop me from walking away but his grip is gentle, friendly.

"It may not be any of my business and I don't want to pry but at least let me buy you a cup of coffee." He gestures to the coffee shop I was going to. "You look like you need it." He adds with a boyish grin.

My initial thought is to tell him to fuck off and leave me alone. I don't need him or his hand outs. Then I realize, I actually really could use a cup of coffee right now. And I'm going there anyway.... I return his smile and nod.

"Thanks... erm, what's your name?"

We make it to the coffee shop and he opens the door for me. I'm greeted by heat and the bitter sweet smell of coffee and cocoa.

"Niall," he answers. "it is so nice to meet you Aurora."

I freeze, goosebumps covering my arms, and at the same moment his eyes widen in realization.

"Please don't freak out." He says lowly. "It isn't what you think."

"How do you know my name?" I demand, my voice becoming hard, cautious.

"Let me buy you coffee. I'll explain." He says, trying to calm me.

"No. Tell me now."

He ignores me, rolling his eyes slightly with a sigh and click of his tongue. He sits at a table nearby and waves a hand for me to sit across from him. I really, really don't want to, but what choice do I have? I'm not fooled by his boyish good looks and charm, he's smarter that what he's letting on and knows more. A lot more.

I note the closest exit as a precaution and then meet Niall's worried eyes.

"I've been watching you for awhile now." He starts.

I keep my eyes fixed on his, "And who exactly are you?"

"I'm your guardian angel."

I can't help it. Laughter explodes past my lips and eventually my eyes water. The odd thing is though that Niall never joins in. That's when I notice he is being 100% serious. I cut off my laugh and press my lips into a line.