1.

Sunday, June 2nd

A horn blares as I run across the street and I flip whoever it was off even though it's my fault.  

Damn it. Out of all the days to be running late... 

I struggle to pull my hair up and once I've managed to tame my long brown hair, I pull my necklace from my bag and glance at my watch.

I am going to be in so much shit with Paul. He's the manager at this "high end" restaurant I work at. To be honest, it's kind of a fucking joke. The food isn't that great and the people who eat it are overly egotistical business men who have meetings on a Sunday to avoid the wife and kids at home. The only reason I put up with all of this bullshit is because it pays for college.

Another horn honks at me and I almost wish the car would just hit me so I could get out of going to work. Being a waitress is not my thing. I'm a writer, a journalist actually, and a damn good one . I keep reminding myself that I just have one more year of this shit hole and I'll be free to do what I love.

I fiddle with my necklace a little longer until it finally clasps and as I round the corner I slam into someone. I stumble back to catch myself and manage an airy, "Sorry."

I look up to see dark jade eyes shining down at me and a scowl set on ridged features.

"Why don't you watch where you're going?" His icy tone sends a shiver down my spine.

I shrug it off quickly.

"Why don't you try not being an asshole and just accept my apology?"

I brush past him, shoving my shoulder into his as I pass. A low rumble sounds from his throat. Before I have time to react, a large hand comes down hard on my arm, yanking me backward.

"I would watch the way you talk to people."

His eyes look even darker, almost black now, but I ignore it and narrow my own. 

"Let go." I try to yank my arm away but his grip tightens. 

Now, I've dealt with tons of assholes, they're common in a big city like Seattle, but something about this one is... Different. Usually I'm unafraid, but my heart is racing and it's getting harder and harder to keep my cool exterior and not go full out Kung-Fu-Panda on this guy.

A low chuckle escapes his now curved lips and he releases me. Everything in me is dying to run away but I refuse to give him that satisfaction. Instead, I stand my ground and I don't know why but I slap him. Well... I try to slap him but he catches my wrist and yanks me towards him so that our chests are touching. His cool breath blows against my face.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you. Then you would really have something to be afraid of."

I try to look into his eyes again, but the shadows cast by the building mask his features. Yanking my arm away, he releases me. I don't have time for his shit right now. Without another word I huff and stomp towards the back door. But even as I put distance between us I still feel his eyes on me, making my skin crawl.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

"You're late."

And the gold star goes to Paul, for stating the fucking obvious.

I roll my eyes.

Paul is the kind of guy who thinks that his job is "the shit". When in reality, this is all that his life will ever amount to. I'm not saying that makes him beneath me or anything, it just makes him annoying as hell. Paul is typically a nice guy otherwise but ever since I rejected his offer to have a drink with him, he's been trying to 'lay down the law'. The key word there is try.