chapter 3

Caitlin

Caitlin approached the cages in distaste.

"Sweetie what about this dachshund?" My mother approached the cage, threading her fingers through the bars.
"No. I am not having a dog that has a stretched body and 1cm legs." I grumbled. I roamed around the cages eyeing the once that made the most yaps. I approached the bloodhound that was snoozing against the cold metal bars.
"What about him?" I smiled sarcastically with a grin.
"We are not having a moody dog that can't keep his eyes open" my mother argued. She then walked alongside the aisles with my father at her heels.
"Sam I found one!" My mother squealed trying to get my father's attention. He appeared next to my mother in approval.
"Great pick hunny!" My father gave her a nod. I was curious of what dog they picked and strolled towards them approaching the cage. No. Not that dog. The creamy dog barked at the three wagging his tail in excitement.
"No not that one." I said walking past my parents in disapproval.
"Sweetie, look he is looking at you!" I turned my head to find his brown coco eyes looking at my every movement.
"UHHHH..." i shook my head.
"Fine" the dog yapped to my agreement. Before we left I gave the puppy evils before heading our way home.

"Coco" my mother and father argued back and forth for the name.
"Patch, uhh... Pluto? Grace?" my dad whined.
" Why today?" I grumbled.
"That's a nice name Toby!" My mother and father agreed.
"I said today but whatever..." I muttered.
"Toby is his name then!" My mother implied.
Toby approached me curiously and licked my shoes.
"Ewww get off me!" I squealed and ran upstairs with toby chasing me barking softly.
"Go away. I don't like you." I said with my arms crossed. Toby yawned and jumped onto my bed curling up into a ball.
"No. Get down!" I shouted. Toby rolled over ignoring my command. I grumbled curse words and crawled beside the dog.
"Time for dinner sweetie!" My mother screamed up the stairs. Toby's ears perked up and sniffing the air in wonder.
"Ok mum coming." I grabbed Toby's collar and leash.
"Now come here" he bowed as if playing a game.
"No here!" He grabbed the collar in his mouth tugging on the leather. I eventually cornered him and threaded his collar through the loops, attaching the leash. I carefully Walked down stairs trying not to fall with toby prancing at my heels.
"Sweetie, he doesn't need to be on leash if he's in the house." My mother looked down at the panting puppy.
"Well deal with it." I shoved the leash into her palms.
"You put his collar on way to tight!" She shook with fear. She eventually bent down on her knee and patted his head.
"There. Now be nice to toby! I thought you wanted a dog?" My mother stroked his belly.
"No. Take him back." I growled. My mother was shocked.
"Sweetie, we got him for you. Care for him. We are not taking him back to the pound, they nearly decided to put him down!" My mother was on the verge of tears. I felt a bit guilty for a minute, but sat at the table angrily. Toby growled at my heels.
"Well he needs a muzzle at least!" I looked down at the puppy's teeth baring at me. His fierce gaze focused on my face.
"No sweetie. You do! Stop being so disrespectful!" My mother commented. Toby walked of in pride with his nose turned up.
"Yeah run along!" I gave evils to toby who growled and panted up the stairs with his tongue flopped over.
"Now sit down for dinner! Stop your whining!" My mother placed a plate on the table. Eventually my father place two bowls on the floor, pouring meat chunks in Toby's bowl. Toby bounced downstairs and lapped up is food. Great, I have to spend a life with him!