chapter 2

Caitlin
(11 years later)

"Caitlin I can't believe this is the last year until exams!" Sophia squeezed me in a hug.
"Yeah, me neither!" I hugged back.
"Can we have another sleep over tonight?" Jessica joined in our group hug.
"Sorry I cant" I told her freeing myself from their deathly grip.
"Why... you can meet rover?" Sophia questioned with a grin.
"No. I told you I don't like pets anymore." I looked at her in annoyance.
"What? Really?" Jessica stared at me in shock.
"Yes, she doesn't like pets just because she never got one." She laughed and linked arms with Jessica.
"No..." I lied and looked at them both in anger.
"Well come on jess! Me and you can have a sleep over!" She happily cheered and walked towards the exit of school.
Great. Now I have to walk alone. I walked towards the gates and sighed as it started to rain. The moon glowed through the clouds as I walked down the street. Walking down the street, a couple held hands with a dog on their trial fetching a ball they had thrown.  I looked in disgust and started to run as the rain pelted my skin. I rounded a corner and saw a cream and chocolaty dog. I approached him curiously but he growled and ran under a gap through the parks fence. I grumbled in distaste and looked up to see two dog catchers with a metal collar around the chocolaty dogs throat. The dog growled and yelped but they eventually moved him towards the van. I pulled the strings on my backpack tighter and swung the door open with my foot.

"Mum I'm home!" I approached the kitchen, abandoning my bag beside the stairs.
"Happy birthday Caitlin" the room screamed making my heart race in my chest.
"Om...gosh!" I squealed. A huge banner with the number 16th was written across the kitchen door frame.
"So this was why you ran out school before me?" I grumbled towards Sophia who smirked with Jessica beside her.
"Yep!" She said popping the P.
"So, Caitlin I know you have been wanting a dog for a while... so we registered you in with the pound!" She hugged me.
I grumbled and put on my fake smile.
"Yay!" I said trying to add enthusiasm. Sophia looked at me in shame and gave her present. I unwrapped the gift and it was a sparkly blue collar and a few other things that a pet needs.
"Thanks!" I smiled. When everyone walked to the lounge I pulled on her jacket to get her attention.
"What did you say?" I glared. She fiddled with her jumper nervously.
"Ok.... I told your family that ever since you were 5 you wanted a dog, and they both agreed. But they said they would be picking out the dog." She coughed nervously after her sentence.
I grumbled. "Isn't that delightful!" She looked at me apology.
"Caitlin we are leaving tomorrow morning!" My mother smiled cheerfully from the lounge.
"I'm going bed." I shouted back and ran upstairs. Changing into shorts and a vest I rested my head on the pillow and fell asleep.