Chapter 2: A First Encounter

A/N: So, here you go. Chapter 2! I hope you like it! Again, please comment, and vote!

********************************

A First Encounter

All was silent. It seemed as if death sometimes caused silence. The only thing I think I remember was the crunch of leaves as people walked back and forth across the graveyard. The sun never came through that day, but instead the gray clouds labeled this day one that would remain forever full of sadness and gray. The entire graveyard was lackluster, no beautiful flowers to spice up the place, maybe death was one thing that could never be covered up with pleasantries. I often wonder whether there ever was a day where someone died that was sunny.

I recall a young blonde woman huddled over a tombstone as she cried her heart out. Her black veil hid her blue tear-streaked eyes and pale face. She placed a bundle of blue flowers by the grave and backed away slowly as a man comforted her.

I was seven years old when my sister died, but I think this was one of those days I never forgot. All I remember my parents telling me was that my sister was gone and that she was never coming back. They never told me how she died or why. Most of the time I think those questions just angered them.

My parents must have grieved my sister's death more openly than I did because I don't think I ever cried till later. I remained empty and closed myself off, maybe that was my own way of grieving. If I hid my emotions, then maybe I just would stop hurting and forget.

No, but it still never made sense to me because I always wasn't quite sure of how she died, so in result I don't think I accepted it.

________________________

My family stood around the casket surrounded by all of their friends and acquaintances, which included just about everyone they knew. They all cried looking down at the small black casket which held my sister. No smiles were shared on this day. There was an enormous amount of, "I'm so sorry for your loss,", or even, "I understand what you're going through." I didn't seem to understand it at all, and often felt angered by their declarations of understanding. Had their sister died too?

I sat down on a wooden bench several feet away from the procession. My parents were too preoccupied with my deceased sister to notice that I had left them. Looking down at my hands, I blocked out the ceremony and glanced around trying to occupy my mind with something to do. Brushing my red hair out of my green eyes, I scanned the horizon once more.

There was a man staring at me off in the distance. I raised my eyes curiously and watched him. He had on a serious expression, but nevertheless, he continued to stare at me as if there was something so important to be seen. He seemed to look right through me. I looked down once more at my hands only to notice that someone had sat down right next to me on the bench.

I turned to my right and recognized the man from before almost instantly, but how had he gotten here so quickly?

"Who are you?" I questioned the man.

He was close enough now so I could make out his features. The man had really wavy brown hair and a pair of dark brown eyes. He wore a dark brown coat and a brown pin-striped suit with a brown tie to match it perfectly. The one thing that offset his look was the pair of converse he wore on his feet. The man smiled breaking his serious expression before speaking.

"I'm the Doctor, why are you sitting here all alone? Don't you have a Mum or a Dad?" He raised his eyes suspiciously.

"Yes, I do. They're over there, I wouldn't disturb them or they'll become very angry with you. Did you say Doctor? Can you tell me why my sister died? My parents won't tell me, and they seem to get mad at me every time I mention it, but I don't understand," I murmured in frustration.

The Doctor's eyes creased with sadness as he frowned slightly.

"I'm not that kind of Doctor, Jessie, but I'll tell you what I will do. I will try and help you find the answer to your mystery. I love mysteries just as much as any man, and I believe, most definitely, that if you look really hard for something, it will always turn up," He said as he took my hand and held it softly.

Suddenly, a loud beeping noise emanated out of the man's pocket.

"The temporal flux of time is missing. How can this be possible? A missing signal, a missing fragment. It's all wibbly wobbly. Timey wimey," He murmured exasperated with the predicament he was facing.

He stood up turning around as he pulled out his beeping device.

"The astral projections are all wrong. Something's wrong here...something is hiding," He scanned the atmosphere as he spoke at about a mile a minute. "Time's gone wonky. Think, think think! If I reverse the polar shift in time, and change the bio-dampeners by zero point six five degrees, then everything will be dreadfully wrong! What to do, what to do," He murmured pacing back and forth quickly.

"Doctor, you talk funny," I giggled softly as I stared up at the tall man.

The Doctor completely ignored me as he ran his hands through his hair nervously.

"Ah, yes! It's been hiding right in front of me, how could I be so daft? Jessie, it's you. I need to scan your memories, something has been hiding in this town all of these years," He said placing his hands gently around my head as he closed his eyes.

"What are you doing?" I fidgeted with my hands nervously.

The Doctor concentrated deeply as he spoke soothingly to me.

"Just relax, there's a disturbance in your mind. Something's been hidden in your life all these years. If at any point you don't want me to see something, imagine a door and close it," He spoke calmly as his forehead scrunched in frustration.

I pulled away suddenly as an image of my sister screaming in terror flashed through my mind. She clawed at the hard wood floor as she was pulled back hastily by her assailants. "What was that? I don't remember that at all, what happened to her?" I raised my green eyes nervously.

Suddenly, my body grew cold and I shivered as the sky darkened. I turned deathly pale from the chill. What was happening to me? I felt sick to my stomach as the Doctor reluctantly continued to try to scan my mind. He seemed anxious about something.

"Hang in there Jessie, the void is opening again. I will stop whoever is causing this pain, trust me. Someone is trying to stop me from restoring your memories. How are they...? Your memories have a gap, a shadow! Who did this to you?" He stared right at me in curiosity and in confusion.

"Doctor, I'm so scared. What's happening to me?" I choked out as I looked back at him.

A set of statues resembling angels surrounded the perimeter within a matter of seconds.

My parents turned around in lockstep as did every other person in the cemetery. Their faces were empty and devoid of emotion.

The Doctor rushed to my side nervously.

"Don't blink! Whatever you do, don't blink!" He exclaimed as he took out a mechanical device of some sort and started to point it at the statues. "We have to go now Jessie, there are too many angels in the area. They are manifesting time and I believe they have something to do with the void in your memory."

The statues rotated suddenly and vanished into thin air.

"What! What? What!" The Doctor squinted in confusion as he looked at the missing statues. "Jessie, something's terribly wrong, we need to leave now-"

He was interrupted by my mother who slapped him right across the cheek.

"What was that for?" He frowned rubbing his cheek which was now slightly red.

"Stay away from my daughter!" My mother hissed inhumanely. She grabbed my hand roughly and pulled me away.

"Doctor!" I yelped looking up at my mother who was holding onto me with a visor-like grip. Her eyes were gray and I could've sworn that I saw the reflection of one of those angel statues in her eyes.

The Doctor refused to leave as he was bombarded by my parent's friends. They all slowly surrounded him and pulled him away.

"You must not interfere," They all repeated in a monotonous chant.

"Jessie! I will find you!" He yelled out as I looked back at the Doctor for the last time.