Captured To Become A Vampire Prince's Bride {Book 2}: Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

I pulled away almost instantly and Jayden cleared his throat, "I'm no doctor but I don't think there'll be bruising or anything. You're fine, just weak, like all humans."

I rolled my eyes, "let's just go."

"As you wish." I could tell by the annoying tone in his voice that he was probably smirking. He was such an asshole, even during a crisis.

"She won't do anything worse than that, you know?" He said pushing the double doors open that led to the dining room. "She wouldn't dream of it. Who knows what Father would do, or Alexander if he comes back."

"When," I corrected firmly. "When he comes back. And he will. I'll do everything I can for him."

"Which isn't much." He responded dismissively.

I pursed my lips to keep quiet. Was this how everyone felt? That Austin would never give him back or that we couldn't rescue him? Did they all think it was my fault too? Henrietta was right, I was tucked away in a safe haven while everyone else suffered, but it was against my will and it wasn't fair.

We walked through the dining room and down an adjacent corridor, which had nothing but paintings of the landscape towards the back of the castle. I didn't recall even ever going down there.

It wasn't much longer before we reached another set of double doors, these were a glossy black and probably twice as high as your average doors. Jayden pushed the left one open and let me through before closing if behind me.

Opposite the doors, at the far end, was the King sat behind a huge desk. When he heard the door close, looked up from his laptop over his glasses to me. A tooth grin quickly made its way on his face as he was quick to come over and greet me with a hug.

"Please, take a seat." He said, "I'll be with you shortly." He held his arm out to a sofa towards the left of the room. I felt like I was going to be interviewed for a job.

I sat down on one end, Jayden at the other. He pulled out his phone and began typing, leaving me to just take in my surroundings.

The room was medium-sized, with the King's desk at the back and window spanning across the whole wall with a perfect view of the sea. On both sides of the room, there was a black sofa facing inwards, and behind them on the walls were two bookcases filled with books that also spanned right across the whole wall. In front of each sofa was a white wooden coffee table with glass centres, and on top, a glass vase with 5 white roses. Very casually decorated.

Looking out of the window, it was clear, and in the distance, I could just make out the silhouette of Harenam Bay.

"So Arianne, how was the school? Did you enjoy it?" The King asked finally. He closed his laptop and went to sit on the sofa opposite.

"I liked it, the students were nice and its location was beautiful."

"I'm pleased you like it. My wife, Alexander's mother, designed it."

"She did a great job."

The King chuckled, "so you haven't received anything from King Austin?"

My eyes widened in complete shock. "King?" I repeated, unable to say anything more.

"You probably didn't hear. His father died. We're not sure how or why. But Austin is now King. Probably why he got away with doing all he's done so far, his father was crook, but he wasn't a fool."

"How did he get Alexander?" I finally asked.

The King slowly leaned back in his chair and decided to stare out of his window than at me. "Austin had blown up the statue of Alexander's mother. After days of confinement, he'd had enough of not doing anything. So he went out. He and Austin fought. Alex lost. Austin decided to keep him, but we don't know why yet."

"Why didn't anyone stop them?" I nearly yelled. I could feel my eyes starting to well up slowly, "where was everyone?"

"There was no one there, only Austin and his people." The King responded.

I turned to Jayden beside me, "where were you? Aren't you supposed to be there to guard him?"

He pointed to himself in shock," me? Are you crazy? I'm only half-vampire! I couldn't stop him, especially in his fit of anger."

I looked away from both the King and Jayden, I didn't want them to see me crying. Not when we were in the middle of a war, the country was in ruins and my husband was nowhere to be found.

A tissue appeared in my line of vision, I took it and dabbed my eyes and cheeks. I was definitely living up to the stereotype that humans are weak.

I took in a deep breath and apologised.

The King flashed me another grin. "I don't want you to worry yourself. We are doing all we can to locate him, I promise. We will get him back." He stood himself up and stretched, his bones making a discomforting cracking sound, "feel free to go."

"Okay, thank you for filling me in."

Jayden already had to door open by the time I got there.

"Didn't know you cared for him so much," he muttered, but not quiet enough for me to not hear him.

I tilted my head in confusion. What was that supposed to mean?