At this point, Kayde grabbed a book from a shelf and laid down in bed. Afterward, he calmly found his bookmark and continued from where he had left off the last time he'd read. It was a very long drawn out moment, meant to make Sprite feel awkward and also to emphasize the dismissive quality of Kayde's attitude. Kayde didn't even look up at his friend as he spoke. "I am plenty of fun, Sprite."

"Fine, fine, old man," Sprite teased. "Blessed with the looks and the fancy, rare eyes and don't even take advantage of them. Such a damned shame."

"I don't use my looks for evil." The answer was simple.

"Ha!" Sprite laughed, still amused by his former mentor. "It's not evil if you do it right."

Kayde shook his head in mock disappointment with a slight smile, still reading the tome in his hands. "You are vile."

Sprite sat on the foot of the bed, now growing serious. "I'm only joking around. But really, you need to get out, Kayde. You're too kind of a man to die alone and there's no one in the guardian sanctuary who can fill that void in your life. Unless you mean to tame Hench somehow..." the little man paused. "Personally, I wouldn't take my chances with that, though. I feel like she'd wear the big boots, you know?"

"Sprite." Kayde's voice was calm, but there was certainly warning lacing his tone.

"Iris is not waiting on you, Kayde," Sprite continued. "She never has been. You said it yourself when you came back from that mission --she chose the other person. The general, right?" he paused, but only for a split moment. "And while that's a damn shame... it happened. She's not thinking about you when she spends her days beside him. She doesn't think of you at night when she lays with him." The words were meant to sting.

Kayde's face remained impassive, a mask of stoicism. How typical of him. "I have heard enough."

"You need to hear it!"

"That. Is. Quite. Enough." The words were enunciated now, spoken through clenched teeth. Sprite saw the muscles in Kayde's neck were taught and his gaze was razor sharp. "It is time for you to leave me be."

Sprite decided, after staring hard into the guardian's dangerous eyes, that it was indeed time to leave.

So he did. Rather quickly, too.

----

Five days later, Iris and Hench finally made it to their destination. It was a small trade outpost a good bit west of the Remordian camp. Iris followed closely after her trainer, curiously watching the bustle of activity in front of them. Roughly fifty people were here from what the rogue could tell, most of them being either guards or merchants that were just passing through.

"I assume you know who we're looking for, especially since you said you take this mission every year," Iris said. "Do you know these people personally?"

"Beyond professional experience? No," Hench said. "I do not know them."

Iris would have believed her, had the next encounter not belied her words. Running up to them came a young woman with a bow strapped to her back and a long, wrapped braid thumping against her spine. She had big brown eyes and a small-framed body. The first moment, she found herself standing in front of the two protectors. The next moment, the girl threw two arms around Hench's neck in a tight embrace. Iris's mentor didn't sway at the impact, nor did she look surprised at the contact. She just returned the hug with a single, gentle arm around the girl's tiny waist.

"Rhalla!" the young woman exclaimed into the Hench's shoulder, using her real name. "Gods, it's been so long --too long."

Iris's eyes narrowed, very suspicious of Hench now. Surely, the last words had been a lie. From what Iris could see, the two seemed to be well-acquainted. Hench met Iris's eyes cross-ways, and the face she made let Iris know she better not say shit. Needless to say, the message was promptly received. Now, Iris just watched the lingering hug, figuring Hench had her own reasons for her white lie.