Chapter 5: Only the Beginning

Author's Note:

I hope you all are enjoying the story. I just want to remind those who read this that you are free to share your opinions. I will always value them!

Thanks!

Enjoy the next chapter to The Warlock's Curse. :)                                 **********************************

It was the same time Annabelle usually woke up on school days: 5:30 AM. She groaned as usual and sluggishly walked to her alarm, shutting it off. She started to get ready -- brushing her teeth and hair, eating breakfast, choosing an outfit -- only this time things were a bit different.

Annabelle grabbed her backpack, and instead of filling it with textbooks and pencils, she grabbed snacks, water, and anything else she thought would be useful on her journey to the portal for the Alternate World. The boys would meet her at her house around six. She had no time to lose.

Putting her hair in a ponytail, Annabelle grabbed her things and began heading out the door, but stopped when something caught her eye on the kitchen table.

It was a note.

"Princess Starkley,

I am glad you made the right choice. We will be excellent partners in battle.  Beware of the journey that lies ahead you and the werewolf boy. He is our enemy -- remember that.

The Lord of Warlocks,                                                                                           Dratchen"

She grunted at his title. "How stupid," she thought. "I'm not doing this for him. I'm doing it for my family!"

"Plus, Evan saved my life for crying out loud."

She ripped the note to shreds and headed out the door. *********************************

Annabelle glanced at her watch. It read 6:20.

"Where are those idiots? They're twenty minutes late!" she huffed, shivering a bit from the cold. "If they don't hurry up, my mom will wake up and see me standing here when I should be heading to school!"

She glanced at her phone.

Nothing.

She sighed and sat on the curb, watching the cars pass by. Her eye caught onto a humming bird. Its feathers were unusual, shining a bright gold and pink. Her father loved hummingbirds, she thought. The thought of her father instantly reminded her of the conversation from  her dream last night...

"Father!" she exclaimed.

"My darling daughter. How are you?"  the man smiled warmly, hugging Annabelle.

"I'm much better now that you're here," Annabelle smiled, planting a kiss on his cheek.

She paused for a moment, thoughtfully. "But... where is 'here'?"

Her father sighed. "We are in the Land of Dreams. Now that you're a half-human, I can communicate to you through here."

"How come you didn't talk to me on the first night I became one?" Anna questioned, a sad smile replacing the other.

"It's... complicated. I only have so much power in the Alternate World now that Dratchen has a complete grasp on his position as the Lord." he said, his face looking grim.