Chapter 4: Dark Dreams and A New Discovery

Author's Note:

I don't have much to say in this note except that...

1) I love goldfish and Undertale.

2) I updated a bit earlier than expected!

3) The picture included represents Annabelle's magic book.

Knowing that Maria will always love goldfish and Undertale, no matter how much time passes, fills you with DETERMINATION. Enjoy. :)
*********************************

Darkness.

"Hello?" Annabelle asked to no one in particular. She walked in the empty space.

"Helloooo?" she asked again.

"Where am I?" she thought to herself.

She heard heavy breathing in the distance. It seemed to be approaching behind her. She spun around and glanced in the opposite direction, feeling herself getting nervous.

Nothing.

Shaking, she turned back around and continued walking. Hissing sounds echoed in the darkness. She kept swinging her torch in the direction of the sounds, but couldn't see anything.

She hated snakes.

"H-Hello?" she asked once more.

The heavy breathing approached her again, only this time, it surrounded her on all sides. She heard it all around her as it closed in and gripped her throat, choking her while also holding her up into the air. She couldn't hold her breath for long.

She struggled as much as she could, kicking her legs into the air and grabbing at her neck, but she felt herself slowly lose consciousness, unable to escape.

"W I T C H..." the shadow monster hissed at her as is appeared in front of her eyes. It continued to grip her throat, scratching at it and making it bleed.

"I W I L L K I L L Y O U..."

Annabelle gasped for air, sitting up on her twin sized bed. She touched her neck, noticing it was slightly swollen, but she wasn't bleeding. She was shaking and sweating horribly, unable to control herself.

Annabelle brought her legs up to her chest and started crying. *********************************

Her hands caressed her blue magic book in her arms as Annabelle walked down the school halls the next morning. She realized that all items related to witchcraft would be hidden from other humans, thus meaning her necklace no longer looked like it had a blue orb and her magic book would appear as a normal textbook. Because of what happened last night, she decided to carry the book with her wherever she went. It was her only source of protection at the moment.

She was about to head into her English class when someone walked up to her.

"Hi," James said as he walked up to her.

This was the first time anyone from school has ever spoken to her, besides Evan, ever since the Flower Dance. Surprised, she responded, "Oh! Hey, James. It is good seeing you." He nodded seemed to be studying her face at the moment, but his eyes trailed downwards and landed on something...

"What an interesting book..." he slowly stated, his eyes widening after a few moments.

"What the? Humans aren't supposed to see the book!" she panicked in her head, struggling to keep a composed face in front of James.

"Oh, yeah. My, um, friend gave it to me. He said it was interesting and that I should read it for myself," she half-lied, thinking about ways to quickly end the conversation.