20. "don't go to school today"

I woke up, my back aching because of sleeping on the floor. I didn't feel Carter on me, which meant that he decided to stay in the bed all night.

I rolled over and looked at the bed to see that he wasn't there. The bed was made and it looked like it hadn't even been touched. I quickly sat up.

No! No! No! He couldn't have left! Oh no! Oh god! Did he go back to his parents?! Did he run away?!

A bunch of worried thoughts started to circle around my mind as I got up and hurriedly go dressed. I ran down the stairs and started towards the kitchen where I could hear cooking.

"Mom! Carter is-" I started to yell when I entered the kitchen and saw Carter helping my mom cook.

I released a breath that I hadn't realized I had been holding in. They both turned around to fave me before turning back to the food.

I sighed and closed my eyes, realizing how tired I was even though I had just woken up. "I'm going to take a shower." I said to them.

I then turned around and was about to head up the stairs when I heard Carter speak to my mom.

"I'm sorry." He said. I stopped and turned around. I leaned against the wall near the kitchen, trying to hear better. "Everything that Jesse did yesterday is because of me."

My mom was silent for a second before sighing. "I know."

It was Carter's turn to be silent. "You do?" He spoke up after a few seconds.

"Yes."

He was silent again. "I'm sorry." I could hear the thickness in his voice, meaning he was starting to tear up.

I could hear some things shuffle before Carter silent whimpers became muffled. "It's okay, sweetie." I heard my mom whisper to him.

"I-I never m-meant to b-be any trouble, I j-just wanted to h-have f-fun. I just w-wanted to live a l-little." I heard Carter silently stutter out.

"It's okay, honey." My mom said. I could tell she was hugging him, trying to soothe him. It was silent for a moment and I was about to go in when my mom spoke up again. "You should probably go get ready for school." She said to him.

I heard a very faint "okay" from Carter and then I heard silent footsteps headed in my direction.

I quickly opened the hallway closet door and hid in it as he walked by. I didn't want him to know that I was eavesdropping, he might not trust me anymore if he knows.

Once I was confident he had walked past, I opened the door and walked out of the closet.

Haha, I just came out of the closet.

I sighed in relief that he was already gone. I was about to head up the stairs when I heard my mom say my name from the kitchen.

I turned around and walked into the kitchen. She was facing the eggs on the stove again. "I know you heard everything." She said, her back facing me.

"Well now you know that I didn't want to do those things. I can't explain it, but he makes me do things that I don't want to. That probably doesn't make any sense-" I was saying but she suddenly cut me off.

"I understand." She said before turning around to face me. "He's manipulative, though he doesn't realize it. He has a very innocent and sweet aura about him that you can't help but recognize. He doesn't realize how he easy it is for him to get his way. And that's probably because he was raised not getting his way." She said, looking off in thought. She then turned to me. "He was using it on me without even realizing he was doing it."

I sighed and sat down. "I just don't know what's gotten into him."

"He's confused." She replied. "He's never experienced freedom before so he doesn't know what to do with it."

I sighed again. I looked down at my lap. "I'm sorry mom." I apologized again for everything that happened yesterday.

My mom was silent for a moment before she spoke. "Don't go to school today."

I looked at her, confused. "What?" I asked her.

She sighed and turned back to her food. "I told you to not go to school today. Let Carter have his freedom for today." She responded. "And when I say freedom, I don't mean getting high, drunk, or anything else that could get you into serious trouble." She added.

I smiled as I stood up. "Of course, mom. I love you!" I exclaimed before kissing her on the head and turning to rush out of the kitchen. I was about to make a run for it when she stopped me.

"Today is the only day you're allowed to do this. I better not catch you or Carter skipping school again after this. Okay?" She raised her brows at me.

I smiled and nodded my head.

She smiled back and then rolled her eyes. "Go get Carter and get ready for the day."

I quickly turned around and ran up the stairs. I ran into my room to see that Carter wasn't there. I heard some news from the bathroom in the hallway and quickly went to it.

I reached the bathroom and opened the door. Carter was facing the mirror and he had some of my moms pain killer pills in hand. I guess he hadn't heard me open the door.

"What are you doing?" I shouted.

He jumped back and accidentally dropped the pills in the sink. He looked over at me with wide eyes. "I-I was just c-checking what t-they are!" He stuttered out.

"Don't lie to me!" I shouted. "I'm tired of your lies! I want the truth."

He sighed and looked down. "What do you want me to tell you, that I was going to kill myself? Well I wasn't. I was just going to take a few pills, that's all."

"Why?" I asked him.

He was about to respond when the doorbell rang.

I groaned. I should probably go down to check who that is. With everything that's going on right now, I don't feel take safe with my mom checking the door. "I got it!" I yelled, hoping my mom would hear me before turning back to Carter with a glare. "We'll talk later."

I quickly turned around and ran down the hallway and stairs. The door was in my line of sight when the doorbell rang again. "Alright! I'm coming!" I yelled.

I got to the door and unlocked it. I opened it up to see a man standing there. He looked to be in his early 20's. He hard light brown hair and green eyes. He was very tanned and was a few inches shorter than me, probably 5'11. He was dressed in a business suit.

"Can I help you?" I asked him.

He smiled at me. "You must be Jesse."

I was confused on how he knew who I was. I was about to ask him how he knew me when Carter's voice suddenly appeared from behind me. "Marcus?" The man's eyes then moved to Carter, his smile grew even bigger.

"Hello brother."

.....

WHAAAAAATT? Bet y'all didn't see that coming!

Don't you guys remember earlier in the story (chapter 6) when he was talking on the phone to someone? Well who do you suppose that was? Mhmmmmmmm???

Anyway, I'm sorry I haven't been able to update lately, but school has started back up and that's made things extremely difficult. Especially since I'm a senior now... Bleh!

Literally, by the end of the first week of school I had already had three projects to complete! Disgusting! But I have to deal with it, just like everyone else.

So I hope you guys liked it! And I'll try to updated soon!

THANKS!!! LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

read~enjoy~vote~comment~thanks

-MGN