Chapter 10

Three full days had gone by since Spock had seen Kirk in the turbolift, yet they still had not spoken yet.

He knew that his behavior was irrational and completely without logic, but Spock had discovered that this tended to be the case when Captain Kirk was involved. His emotions lately had been—by his standards—out of control, and he had no idea what to do about it. Spock knew that something eventually needed to happen, for they could not continue ignoring each other forever. Yet, in spite of this fact, he found that he very much disliked the idea of him being the one to do something about it.

After his shift was over, Spock stepped into the turbolift and left the bridge, idly wondering about how to resolve this issue with the Captain. After a few moments, the doors opened again—and who should be standing there but James T. Kirk himself.

The Captain opened his mouth, then closed it and stepped inside. The slight hum of the turbolift resumed itself, the only noise to break the silence that had settled on the pair of them. We really have to stop meeting like this, Kirk thought.

As the two men stood there together, Spock's hand accidentally brushed against Kirk's. Spock blushed a little, but Kirk just smiled at him and gently took his hand. Spock immediately felt the stir of the Captain's thoughts, awoken by the contact of their skin. He felt the same feeling of warmth and affection from Kirk that he had on the planet. Reassured that Spock was okay with the contact, Kirk gently began to move his fingers along the back of the Vulcan's hand. Spock couldn't help but give a tiny smile of pleasure at the sensation, his heart rate accelerating with each passing second.

Spock turned to face Kirk, unsure of his intentions. "Captain—" he began, but realized that he had no idea what to say.

Kirk took a step closer, until their faces were mere inches apart.

"Captain—" Spock tried again, "there is a certain matter that we need to discuss."

"Shhh," Kirk breathed gently, closing his eyes and leaning in until his forehead met with Spock's.

The Vulcan froze, unsure of how to respond. Their actions so far had been completely illogical. They needed to resolve the issue between them so it would stop interfering with their duties. Whatever they were doing right now had no discernible purpose. And yet, Spock found that he was not altogether opposed to it either.

"Jim," Spock breathed hesitantly against his lips.

Through the contact of their hands, Kirk could sense Spock's internal struggle. The Captain decided that he would solve the matter for him.

So, he tilted his head, leaned even farther forward, and gently pressed his lips to Spock's.

For several seconds, Spock could not react. The feeling of Kirk's lips against his own was unlike anything he had ever experienced before. He knew it to be an expression of affection between humans, but had never actually seen its purpose. Until now, of course.

Despite the pleasure he was inexplicably feeling, there was a tiny voice in the back of his head, warning him against throwing caution to the wind. What would happen if he gave in to his desires? Where would they take him? 

Suddenly, Kirk began to move his mouth against Spock's—and in that moment, his resolve crumbled. He found himself powerless to resist the actions of his Captain.

Kirk opened his eyes in astonishment as Spock leaned into the touch. Then, he hastily closed them and deepened the kiss. For several moments, they chased back and forth, until Kirk raised his other hand and gently cupped Spock's face. His thumb stroked across the Vulcan's cheekbone, and Spock could not stop a small moan of pleasure from escaping his mouth.