Chapter 6

The first thing Kirk noticed when he regained consciousness was the cold.

He sat up from where he was lying on the floor and looked around. He appeared to be in some kind of cell. Despite the dim light, he was able to make out the dark walls around him and a barred door straight ahead. He started suddenly as he remembered what had happened, but relaxed when he saw Spock lying on the floor next to him.

"Jim, you're awake, are you feeling alright?"

McCoy's voice came from the left. Turning, Kirk saw him leaning against the rough wall of the cell.

"I'm fine," Kirk answered, then returned his attention back to his first officer. "How's Spock?"

"He's weak and unconsciousness, but he's doing alright."

Kirk nodded and stared fondly at Spock. He almost reached out for his hand, but managed to stop himself at the last moment.

McCoy noticed the look and raised an eyebrow, but said nothing.

"Where are we?" Kirk asked after a few moments, turning back to the Doctor.

"I woke up in here a little while ago. We seem to be in the dungeons, and judging by the cold I'd say we're pretty far underground. They took our phasers and communicators as well."

Kirk nodded and stood up. He moved toward the door of the cell, but was stopped by McCoy's hand on his arm.

"Careful," he said, a warning look on his face.

Kirk nodded and continued to the bars. Looking out, he saw the same dim tunnel extending as far as he could see in either direction. Cells lined both sides, and several guards were standing along the corridor at regular intervals. They also wore all black; long, flowing, hooded cloaks that covered their faces in shadow. Although they were dressed similarly to the mysterious creature they'd met in the tunnel earlier, these guards were not as tall, and didn't command nearly the same sense of power and authority.

Kirk leaned farther toward the bars, craning his neck to try and see the end of the hallway. He was rewarded with a sharp hiss in his right ear. He whipped around to see one of the creatures standing right next to the cell. Odd; Kirk hadn't seen him approach.

The creature bared its pointed teeth and slunk out of view, disappearing with its warning. Rebellion is obviously discouraged around here, Kirk thought.

Suddenly, he heard a noise from the back of the cell. Kirk turned and noticed Spock was stirring. In less than a second he was on the ground next to him.

"Spock," he said softy, searching his eyes for some indication that he was okay. "Spock, are you alright?"

"Doctor McCoy's potion is acting like all his potions—turning my stomach. Other than that, I am quite well," Spock pointedly replied.

"If your blood were red instead of green, you wouldn't have an upset stomach," McCoy piped up from the other side of the cell.

"Just what do you think you were trying to do?" Kirk asked him accusingly.

"I surmised you were unaware of the trap on that door, so I–"

"Stepped in front and took the blast yourself," Kirk finished disapprovingly.

"I assure you, Captain, I had no intention of doing that. It was merely my own clumsiness which prevented me from moving out of the way," Spock explained.

"I see. Well next time, just yell. I can step out of the way as quickly as the next man," Kirk grudgingly told him, his voice hiding the true extent of his concern and relief.