s i x

"Nari!", it resonated through the school halls. A few heads whipped around to look for the source of the noise, even though many had already guessed who the blusterer was.

Jeon Jungkook.

He was running through the hall, even though it was prohibited, to catch up to Nari who was carelessly walking. She'd heard his call, she just wanted to make him run.

When Jungkook finally had caught up, Nari grinned cheekily at him, indicating she did hear him. Slightly panting, Jungkook punched Nari's shoulder lightly. "Why are you so mean to me? Seriously, you're nice to everyone but me and I'm your friend. I gave up so much to be with you and this is what I get? You hurt me!" His overdramatic complaints made Nari chuckle, and she glanced at Jungkook. "Yeah, because your 'super-popular-boy-with-no-female-friends' status was so hard to give up."

Jungkook glared angrily at her. "It was! It totally was! Be more grateful", he grumbled. He tried to keep a straight face, but seeing Nari laughing at him made him laugh too. "I am grateful, you know that." "Mhm. Say, we should hang out. School's finished anyway, let's go to the park."

Nari knew that she couldn't say no. Not because he was too cute to say no to, but because he had already dragged her along.

The two friends were seated on the swings, enjoying the waffles they had picked up on their way to the park. They were having fun, just talking about anything that popped up in their minds.

"Say, Nari", Jungkook began. "Tell me about your love-life."

Nari almost choked on a piece of waffle, and then began laughing uncontrollably. Jungkook just watched her, silently wondering what it had been that was so funny. When Nari was done laughing, she wiped away some tears and turned serious again. "I'm sorry, it's just that my love-life is non-existent." For a moment, Jungkook found himself being stunned. "And that's funny?" He really didn't understand this girl. It wasn't too long ago they became friends, perhaps a month ago. He knew that it would be an eventful and interesting journey, but he didn't expect her to be this confusing. Every day he would learn something new about Nari, or see a different side of her, but some things just didn't add up. For example, how she could go from being tough and badass to being cute and delicate in a mere split second. It was really astonishing to him.

"Well, yeah- I mean, my love-life's a joke anyway. What about you though?" Nari gazed intently at Jungkook, awaiting his answer. "Oh, I have dated a few girls here and there, but nothing special, really." As a response, Nari just snorted.

Just as Jungkook was about to retort, an approaching group of boys caused him to shut up. They looked intimidating, and they were walking straight towards the couple. Briefly glancing at Nari's face, he noticed that it had darkened. "Uh, Nari? Don't you think we should go?"

Nari shook her head. "If we walk away, they will follow us. It's better to stay here in a public space; that way they can't do much. We aren't the only ones in the park."

Jungkook knew she was right, but he couldn't help but feel a bit uncomfortable. It wasn't that he couldn't defend himself, he'd had quite a few fights, but rather that these guys looked older than he was, stronger, and they were a majority.

The group of boys had come to a halt; right in front of them. One of them spoke up. "Missy, is that your boyfriend? Won't you have some fun with us?" Jungkook was ready to punch the guy right then and there, but an almost unnoticeable hand gesture coming from Nari stopped him. He could only watch.

"No", Nari simply told the stranger. It was a one-worded answer, but the tone she used was so cold yet so calm, it was almost frightening. Jungkook could feel shivers running down his spine.

Nari however, knew that a simple "no" wouldn't suffice. She had dealt with these types of people before. Not particularly because she was very pretty, but rather because she seemed to look vulnerable, since she was the owner of a fragile and frail body.

The gang of boys seemed to be a bit taken aback by her reply, but they didn't give up that easily. "Aw, come on missy!" another guy tried to grab Nari's arm, but she forcefully yanked it away. "I said no. Meaning I refuse. Leave me alone."

Realization dawned in; the boys understood that she wasn't one to be swayed and that she wouldn't agree. Unfortunately, this angered them. They were used to getting their way, usually a girl didn't say no to them, be it because of fear, or be it because of lust.

One of them raised a fist and swung forwards. Against to his expectations, though, he felt his fist being grabbed.

Nari had taken a hold of it. Not letting go, she looked the young man straight in the eye.

"I wouldn't try that if I were you. I'm not very nice when I'm angry."

Jungkook watched the group exchanging glances, which were clearly showing that they were afraid of Nari. They quickly walked away, and Jungkook could only sigh. Nari smiled brightly. "I can fend for myself, you know."

Jungkook rubbed his neck shyly. "I know... but why do I feel like I need to protect you?"

a/n: longest chapter so far woah