two

Amy was getting her jacket out of her locker when the voice a familiar teenager make her jump and spin towards their direction

"This Lakewood day seems like a big deal, huh?"
She breathed out a sigh of relief once she saw Eli stood there with his hands in his pockets. He grinned. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

Amy awkwardly nodded. "It's fine, and yeah, I guess it is. I better get-"
"So, what did you sign up for? The car wash or the pancake breakfast?" Eli asked with a playful smile, which to Amy's surprise, she liked.

"I'm actually, uh, I've signed up for Lady of the Lake." She paused for a moment before slightly raising an eyebrow as Eli took a few steps towards her. "So do you go to school here, now?" Amy asked.

"No. But I'm thinking about it. People keep convincing me but it just wasn't enough, you know. But now I know you go to this school, it might just be the amount of convincing I need."
Amy awkwardly shuffled and smiled. "I'll see you around," She mumbled.
Eli smirked. "I hope so."

***

The next day, Amy and Brooke were in the audition for the Lady of the Lake preparation. Amy was currently waiting for Brooke to finish her phone call, and she had to admit she sounded worried.
"Hey, you're Amy, right?" Someone asked her.
Amy turned to her left to see Zoe smiling at her. Amy smiled. "Yeah. Hi, Zoe."
"Is your friend okay?" She asked, subtly pointing over at Brooke as she hung up.
Amy sighed and shrugged. "I don't think she is, honestly. I wanna ask her about it but I don't wanna stress her out even more, you know?"

Zoe nodded. "Shall we go over there and try to start a conversation or something?"
Amy nodded and smiled. "Okay, sure."

"Hey, Brooke! This is Zoe." Amy introduced, pointing at her and smiling.
"Hey! I know we don't really know each-other but this Lady of the Lake pageant doesn't seem like your thing."

"My dad is making me," Brooke sighed. "Maddox pride." She mocked his words.
"So your dad is your escort?"
"Oh, uh, I haven't even thought about that, um... no. I mean, who has their dad as their escort?" Brooke scoffed.
Zoe awkwardly raised her hand. "Uh, I do." She laughed. "I also avoid all high school boy drama, win win."

Amy sighed. "If only it was so easy."
Brooke scoffed. "Oh please, everyone knows you have a crush on Noah."
Zoe rolled her eyes as Amy continued to tease her.
"Okay, I do not do that!" Zoe argued.
Amy laughed and stood next to Brooke and folded her arms as Brooke said, "A little bit."

Zoe paused for a moment. "Okay, well, maybe there's a world where I think where Noah is kind of cool. Happy?"
Amy and Brooke grinned and nodded.
"Very." Amy almost squealed.

Brooke then scoffed as she stared at the dark eyed boy in the back of the auditorium, staring at her. "Hold that thought."
Zoe and Amy watched her walk off.
"Yeah," Amy sighed. "they're having some problems - Brooke told me about him."
Zoe laughed and shook her head. "Let's go back on stage before she notices we've gone."