Chapter 28: Anniversary

Surprise!! Thanks for being oh so patient with me! Here's a little bonus chapter for you, from a POV I haven't written in, in a while! Enjoy!

P.S. This might be a bit tooooo sappy and lovey-dovey for some of you, but hey, this is REAL GOALS, LADIES!! DON'T SETTLE FOR LESS THAN WHAT YOU DESERVE!

One month after the funeral...

Amira's POV

Yessin and I have been married for exactly one year. This day exactly one year ago, I was anxiously waiting at home while Yessin and our families where at the masjid making it all official. Since then, I graduated from college with Maysara, Amany and Tesneem, Tesneem had twins, Maysara got pregnant, but lost the child, and Amany passed away.

It seems as if, even though so much happened throughout the last year, Yessin was my only constant. He was always there for me and we rarely ever fought. He knew how to treat a woman right, and how to make me the happiest alive.

So today, I wanted to do something special. Usually, Yessin and I just order takeout, or make easy 30 minute dinners. But today, I'm going to decorate the house and make a fancy, 5-star pinterest, Instagram worthy dinner, and maybe spice things up a little bit afterwards. (We're married, it's halal, lol)  I wanted to spoil him and let him know how thankful I really am for having him in my life.

I started by looking up some fancy recipes that I could try out, and some easy DIY decorations that I could make to decorate the house. After hours of research, I finally decided on making a nice smoked-baked salmon with brown rice and asparagus, and truffles for desert. And I must admit, I'm not much of a cook, but everything looked pretty spot on... Maybe it's the thought of him in my head that made everything turn out as perfect as it did. I must admit, I was pretty darn proud of myself.

After cooking and decorating for what felt like hours, I was finally done, and I was expecting Yessin to come home any minute. So I sat in out living room and hung out until he got home.

I say for nearly two hours. Yessin was late. Huh. Weird. He's never late to come back home. He would definitely let me know if something was wrong.

I checked my phone just to make sure he didn't call or text me. No missed calls, no new messages. At this point I was getting a little upset. The dinner I made was getting cold and my decorations no longer felt special. To be completely honest, I was bummed.

Around an hour later, the doorbell rung and Yessin was finally home. He looked excited, and didn't seem affected at all that he was three hours late from work on our first anniversary. I thought he would've been apologetic at the lea- wait, he's pulling flowers out from behind his back! Sunflowers? My favorite. You know what? Scratch that. I'm not mad anymore...

I got up and heated dinner. We sat in the dining room with the lights dimmed and a candle between us. It was the most romantic moment I've ever experienced.

After dinner, he got up and held my hands.

"Darling, I have much to explain, you know, about why I was so late today. I'm not cheating on your anything-" he cracked a smile, jokingly. I punched his arm and laughed. I know he would never. He likes my cooking a little too much to do that. "It's just that I was out setting up something..."

He continued, "But let's do all of our explaining in the car. Go get dressed, and hurry!"

I was so excited. I had no idea what he had planned for us to do! So I ran upstairs and picked a beautiful white abaya with gold calligraphy all over it. The edges were lined with gold, so I chose my favorite pair of gold heels to go with them. I skillfully wrapped around my white chiffon hijab, and with a simple application of eyeliner, mascara and red lipstick, I was downstairs. Somehow, Yessin had gotten dressed too, without me noticing.