Chapter 6: Nikkah or Nah

Yessin's POV

Mashallah, Amira was such a beautiful young woman. She's everything I've ever wanted in a partner. She's so kind, beautiful and religious. She's helpful and my sister's best friend. I was so deeply in love with the thought of her that i could barely even think straight. I even found myself doodling her initials on notes during class...

When I asked Maysara about her, her initial reply caught me off guard. I wondered why.. I decided that it would only be right to tell my parents. Without thinking twice, I called them into the living room. They sat across from me, hand in hand, on the loveseat. I took a deep breath, said Bismillah (in the name of Allah), and began-

"Mama, Baba, I have something to tell you both." I said.

"Khair inshallah, what is it, Yessin?" My mother asked, looking at my father with worry.

"I think I want to get married. I have a girl in mind." I replied.

"Oh ya ibni (my son), I just don't think you're ready for that kind of commitment yet!" My dad said, sorrowfully.

"Oh come on! I'm 23! I've finished my studies and I just started a full time job!" I said, anger starting to build up.

My mother sighed and my dad scratched his bald head. He looked at my mom and they whispered for a few minutes.

"OK ya ibni, we have an idea. If you tell us who the girl is, we can go visit her family later today. If they agree, then you can get married. If they disagree, you have to wait at least two months before proposing to anyone else. Deal?"

I got up and kissed my parents' hands. "Deal"

"Who is the lucky girl, anyways?" My mom asked curiously.

"Her name is Amira Mohammad. She's Maysara's best friend."

My parents exchanged relaxed smiles. My mom picked her phone up and her fingers flew over the keyboard. A few minutes later, her head snapped up and she said, " Get up, Yessin. Go make yourself look decent. We will be at their house in an hour."

Once again, I kissed my parents' hands and happily skipped away.

Maysara's POV

I saw Yessin skipping up the staircase with a wide grin planted on his face. I walked downstairs when Mama called me saying "Go get dressed, we are going to Amira's house for dinner. Dress niceley!"

I ran upstairs and got dressed into a pink layered dress and an off white colored hijab. I fastened a black belt around my waist and put on some black flats. I grabbed my pink and black purse (shown in this chapter's picture) and I headed out the door.

Downstairs, Mama and Baba were dressed formally and Yessin was wearing a nice polo with black dress pants and dress shoes. He even combed his hair! I wondered what the occasion was..

**

When we got to their house, Amira's mom answered the door. She tightly hugged my mom, smiled at my dad, warmly welcomed by brother and whispered "you're next" in my ear when she hugged me.

The men were seated at the dining table and the women stayed in the kitchen to warm up food and dish them. Amira was upstairs, still getting ready. Finally, after the table was set, we all sat down together. Amira finally came from upstairs and she looked absolutely beautiful.

Amira wore a knee length brown dress with tight jeans underneath. Her hijab was brown and blue and her makeup was so natural. She sat next to me and we began talking. Her mom signaled for her to come to the kitchen and she grabbed my wrist for me to follow her in. Her mother signaled for me to stay and eat.