Chapter Fifty-One

Chapter Fifty-One: Maggie

The amusement park wouldn't close until 12:00 AM.

As we checked the time, we saw that we still had two hours left and so we thought we might as well make great use of our time while we still can. At this point, we used up almost all of our tickets and tried almost every possible booth and game we could lay our hands on.

We were exhausted yet we were still going.

"We should get a souvenir to remember this day by," I suggested as Evan stared at me for that.

"Aren't the millions of stuffed animals I got for you not enough of a souvenir?" he teased, making me roll my eyes as I held the stuffed animals firmly in my grip.

"No, something both you and I can share," I clarified "Not that I'm saying you can't take any of these stuffed animals for yourself because you won them in the first place."

"Good, because I was planning to keep the toy monkey, he'd look great on my nightstand," he admitted as I snorted.

"No, but seriously, we should get something nice, something meaningful."

He raised an eyebrow "Like what exactly?"

Half of the stands that sold souvenirs were already closed and the ones that were still open just sold t-shirts, hats, and typical trinkets like keychains and similar accessories.

I didn't know what I was trying to find in particular, but I didn't want something dull, I wanted something both he and I can remember for God knows how long. Something that we can take with us wherever we go, something that wouldn't end up stuffed in a drawer somewhere.

Something... special.

"Hello, ma'am, would you want to buy jewelry? For yourself or a loved one?"

It was almost as if luck was really on my side as I picked up on that great bargain, looking around only to see an old woman perched up into a small stool nearby a lampost, a box of bracelets varying of all different colors as she offered them to passersby.

I took Evan's hand in my own and immediately rushed towards her, and as if she could sense our presence drawing near, she looked up at me.

I smiled as I peered down at what she was selling with genuine interest "Hello, young lady," she greeted "See anything you like?"

"Yes, absolutely." I agreed, tugging on Evan's arm so he was forced to look down on the dozens of jewelry laid out in front of us.

He tilted his head "Is this what you meant when you said you wanted something meaningful?" I nodded enthusiastically as I whipped out my wallet.

"Anything that catches your eye?" the lady asked "I have many. You can buy matching necklaces, there's one of a broken heart paired with its missing half, you can give it to your partner and when put together, it forms a whole."

My nose wrinkled at that "Too cliche," I remarked the same time Evan said, "That's kinda cute."

I turned to Evan who raised an eyebrow in return "You wanted something meaningful, that for me," he countered "is meaningful."

"But too up your face," I argued.

"We have something more simple if that's what you would prefer." the lady proposed, tinkering with the jewelry before she picked out another selection "How about this?"

She displayed a simple, red bracelet. It was made up of rope, not too thin but not too thick. It appeared to be a slip knot bracelet. It was vibrant but also simplistic.