Chapter 19 - District 2 Reapings

PHOXUS GOLETT'S P.O.V

I sat with my older brother Shadow in our house in the Victor's Village. It's been 2 months since the first games between District 1, 5 and 9. The winners were all good competitions, but I feel I could do better.

"Bro," Shadow said, "you volunteering today?"

"Maybe," I laughed. Shadow is 25. He won the games when he was 15. The 490th Annual Hunger Games. He volunteered. At the time he was suicidal. Hoping for an easy way out.

Turns out that he won. The last fight was a brutal fight between a girl from 7, a boy from 11 and him. The girl from 7 killed the boy from 11, Shadow taking out the girl straight after.

Since then life has been hard for him. He was asked if he wanted to sell his body to Capitol ladies. He said no. President Ammon slaughtered our parents and his girlfriend. He wouldn't kill me, knowing I'd be eligible for Reaping one day.

The thing with being related to a Victor is that you're expected to be good at everything. My entire family has grown up training for the games. I use a spear.

We sat in silence eating our breakfast. Marmalade on toast. I love being related to a Victor though. It means you never go hungry or have to live on the streets.

District 2 is the richest District out of all 12 Districts. We're up against Districts 6 and 10. This will be easy.

District 6 have had two winners in the last 100 years. They are now the poorest District out there. They are all weak and starving. Crime rate shot through the roof. On the news I saw houses made from things like wheels and doors from different vehicles.

District 10 isn't much better. About 20 years ago, a disease spread throughout their District. Most of their animals were killed. They became breeders for 10 years, trying to get the population up again. The poorer Districts had to eat horse, dog and rats for a few years. It was horrific.

"Dude, you die and I'm alone, you know that," Shadow sounded wary.

"I am not going to die you fool," I said. "I need to get changed and stuff."

I pulled on some khaki shorts and a checkered shirt. My red hair would not flatten down. I tried to spike it instead. It didn't work. I sighed. I was going to be late.

I don't want to be late to volunteer. You get whipped if you're late.

This may be the last time I see Shadow. I doubt it, but you never know. Underdogs are your enemy in the arena.

SAGE COMBE'S P.O.V

I jogged to the town square. I stood with my friend Rich in the 16-year-old area. Our escort, Terrapinn, went over the same speech she recites year in, year out.

"Dude," Rich said. "Good luck. I'll hopefully see you after the Games."

"Hopefully?" I joked. "You mean definitely."

He rolled his eyes. "You sound like that Majoris kid from the first minigames. The one who died on Day 1?" He started laughing through Terrapinn's speech. Disrespectful.

The Capitol are our Gods. We help them and they help us. That's why we win most of the time. The Capitol help us.

"Our first tribute is," her rainbow fingernails elegantly grabbing one piece of paper. "Ji-"

"I volunteer!" Someone shouted. District 2 has gone down in volunteers over the years. I'm 16 now. I can volunteer and people wouldn't mind. 12-year-old volunteers are frowned upon.

A red headed boy strode down the middle of the aisle. "I am Phoxus Golett, aged 17." He said into the microphone.

Golett. Isn't there a Victor with that name? I can't remember his first name though...

"Okay," Terrapinn smiled. "Our next tribute is So-"

"I volunteer," someone near me yelled. Grandis Caldwell. The sword boy in my class at school. We get on, but we aren't close.

Now it was my turn. Terrapinn went to read the next name. I screamed that I volunteer. I walked up to the stage. I could see Rich smiling and sticking his thumbs up.

"Okay. Next up is Spiro Martian!" Terrapinn smiled.

A dark haired boy from the 15-year-old section walked out. He looked strong.

"Next we have," she fumbled in the bowl. "Leporis Franke!"

Leporis was stood right next to Spiro in the 15-year-old area. I bet they're friends. He dragged himself to the stage. Why is no one volunteering? The Hunger Games is an honour to be a part of.

"Jorge Perthshire!" Terrapinn screamed.

An ash blonde boy from my class walked from the 16-year-old section. Half of his face is burnt off after a fire in his house a year ago. He tried to look confident, but knowing the Capitol judges on looks, he has a small chance.

"Now we have," she opened the slip. "Sectus Yule."

A pale 14-year-old boy walked up from the pen onto the stage. He looked at the audience. Several small ginger people were crying. Were these people siblings? If so, he has absolutely loads of them.

"Our last tribute is," she laughed. "An all boy District. Where's Spikelet Quinn?"

Spikelet, a dark haired 14-year-old slowly walked to the stage. Wow. All 8 of us are guys. We have a huge chance.

"Ladies and Gentleman, our brave boys of District 2!" Terrapinn chuckled. Most of the crowd applauded, with the odd person crying.

Off I go to represent my District in the annual Hunger Games!