Chapter 57 - District 12 Reapings

SHAW THISTLE'S P.O.V

I have the last her money as she handed me a squirrel.

"Thank you," the lady smiled. I smiled back, placing the money into my pocket. That could buy me dinner tonight.

The Hob was declared legal a few years ago. Since then, this has become one of the most popular places in District 12.

In the time of Katniss Everdeen, it was burnt down and many people were injured.

It had been destroyed several times after, well, basically every time 12 gained a Victor.

Our last victor, from the 487th Games, is called Typlonius, or Ty for short. That was when the Hob was last burnt down.

District 12 had a mini rebellion to make the Hob a legal place to sell goods. After years of work, the Hob became a good place.

Obviously, people still bring illegal things into the Hob, like animals caught outside of our fence, but we put it away before anything can be done.

"Hey Shaw," Cynder, a regular customer, stood at my desk. "I have fox legs."

"You are a star!" I smile. Foxes are so delicious covered in apple sauce. "What would you like in return?"

She examined the desk. "That tie," she said. "For Rhymer."

I picked up the green swirled tie and handed it to her. "Thank you," she smiled, running off.

I started sorting out today's trades under my desk. A fox leg, a groosling, bread, a handful of strawberries and a small velvet waistcoat, perfect for me.

My next customer, Crucis, held out a deer a rucksack.

"What's in the bag?" I ask.

"Loot," he grinned, his eyes lighting up. "Turns out District 11's Persei was out today. We met and traded. It's between me, her and you."

"As in Victor Persei?" I ask, shocked at the fact he got to meet her. He handed me the bag. It was pretty heavy.

I pulled back the flap to find food that could feed an entire family for days."Half for you, half for me," Crucis smiled. "Not even a trade."

My boss came over to me and told me it was okay to leave to get ready. I walked off with my trades - other than the deer - and entered my house.

Crucis and I emptied the bag onto the floor, our mouths watering at the sight of the food in front of us.

After we split the pile into two, along with my trades, I sat down and made a meal. A goat cheese and groosling sandwich, a fruit salad and half a squirrel.

I haven't eaten so much in one day in years.

Crucis left my house with his backpack slung over his left shoulder. I licked my fingers, the taste of meat and cheese on my hands.

I packed all my things into a cupboard in the kitchen and headed upstairs, my new waistcoat in my arms. The velvet was soft against my skin.

I slipped it on over my shirt and pulled on a pair of black trousers. I stood in front of the mirror, trying to tame my brunette mane of hair.

Once I managed to sort out my appearance, I took another few strawberries and walked out of my house, hoping that I will be back here in a few hours.

IBERIS SKEETER'S P.O.V

I don't want to be here.

I can't be here.