Chapter 14 - Last Night at the Capitol

HAILE LORD'S P.O.V

I sat clapping as Ivory and Yohan got married at the dinner. President Ammon was even present. They held hands as some rings were put on their fingers. They kissed at the alter. Not really an official wedding, but it was more than enough for them.

They sat down at their assigned table, whilst we all went and sat at our tables. Sponsors came and sat at tables with us. I was sat with Runyon and Geranium. Some man with bright blue hair was talking to us, asking why he should sponsor us.

"So, you lot. My name is Kingsley, and I want to know why I should sponsor you in the games."

"Well, I may only be 13, but I can throw knives that even the Careers will be impressed with." Geranium boasted. I doubt he was telling the full truth. He did only get a 7 in training.

"I am fast, subtle, flexible and I can use daggers and throwing knives better than this wannabe here." Runyon said. That is more believable than what Geranium said.

"What about you Haile?" Kingsley asked, helping himself to some soup.

"I can use a bow and I know my edible plants. I guess I'm an okay tribute. No point in lying to my sponsors," I said, glaring at the other two tributes on my table.

"Interesting," Kingsley said, stroking his beard. "And if I was to sponsor you, how would you be worth my money?"

Geranium put his hand on his heart. "I will give a good show. I will brutally kill and torture until I am the sole survivor." He was just as bad as Nancee.

"I'll try my best to kill and give a good show," Runyon said.

"No false promises, I'm not a ruthless killer. I will kill when the time is right. I will show my true emotions and be myself," I replied. Honestly, unless I don't get anything at the cornucopia, sponsors aren't a big deal to me.

"And what if you die in the bloodbath?" Kingsley asked.

"Me? Die? Dream on mate," Geranium replied, laughing.

Kingsley shook Geranium's hand. "I can't wait to to cooperate with you."

ATLUS RATHBONE'S P.O.V

I sat on a table with Roxen and Nancee. Roxen looked kind of uncomfortable with Nancee around.

Some purple haired freak called Aqua was talking to us. "Why should I sponsor you?"

Why should I talk to you?

"Sponsor me because I can use basically anything as a weapon. I could kill someone with my sock," Nancee cackled. Roxen rolled her eyes. I've learnt that Roxen doesn't like any other girl.

"I'd like to see you try," Roxen sniggered. "I am great with daggers, getting a higher score than anyone on this table. When I run the cornucopia, the Careers won't need sponsors."

I don't even care to be honest.

"I, like Roxen, can also use daggers. I am a reliable tribute who will deliver a good show. I will slowly torture anyone if it means victory." I said. Get the snobby freak away from me.

I took a bite of food. The savoury flavours exploded in my mouth. Heaven on a plate.

"So, do you think you will all make it to the Ultimate Games?"

"Of course. Have you seen my skills?" Roxen said. Nancee sniggered at her. I know Aqua will sponsor them both, seeing as they're determined to kill each other.

"I'll kill both of you in your sleep," I muttered. "I may have got a 7 but I can still murder."

Aqua laughed. "I'll sponsor you if you get through the bloodbath."

YOHAN ALLARDYCE'S P.O.V

I sat next to Ivory, hand on top of hers. We are married. I will protect Ivory with all my life. She will get as far as she can. I will take a bullet for her. Septimus kept looking over at us with a sickened look on his face.

Some guy called Gregor was talking to us. "So, how many people do you want to kill?" He asked. The Capitol sicken me.

"Many," was the only answer he received. From Septimus.

"You two lover birds not into killing?" He asked, mocking us slightly. I felt Ivory tighten her grip.

"If the time is right, we'll all kill. It's instincts. But I'm not a brutal murderer," I replied, implying my hatred for Septimus.

"Ah right. So, you all got great scores, convincing me to sponsor you. What are your weapons?" Gregor strokes his moustache. Gross.

"I like swords," Septimus said.

"I am a fan of throwing axes," Ivory smiled. "I doubt they'll be at the cornucopia, so I'm hoping you'll be able to sponsor me the weapon I need to survive.

"I enjoy using shurikens. Throwing weapons are the best," I replied. I swear this is just a way to get our rivals to know what we use. We have no hope. We should've lied.

No one said anything for the rest of the meal.

The President hit his glass with his fork, catching out attention. He decided to bid is farewell, saying in 5 days, he'll see three of us, or none of us. There's a 5 day limit?

What will happen if 4 people are alive at the end of day 5?

JED PAISLEY'S P.O.V

We got back to our rooms. Maxwell completely upstaged me in front of our sponsor lady, Diamond.

I am so going to kill him in the arena.

I don't care if he is my brother, if he cared for me then he would've volunteered for me, not to go in with me.

"Yarrow," I whispered, even though no one could probably hear us. "You nervous for tomorrow?"

"I guess, but you're here," she touched my face. "I'll be okay."

I kissed her and pushed her down underneath me. This is our last night together for certain. I'm going to die tomorrow.

"We'll be fine," she said, her warm breath tingling on my lips. I pulled her in closer. I don't want to let go.

The door burst open. Keelan and Maxwell were stood in the doorway.

"Get lost guys," Yarrow screamed, "Keelan, you aren't even on this floor!"

"That doesn't matter." I could hear the desperation in Keelan's voice.

I sighed. They were probably going to beg to team with us. I say we let them, and kill them when they sleep.

"Yarrow, I've liked you since we first started our criminal acts," Keelan wailed. "And you betrayed me for some guy you've know for a week. This isn't fair!"

"Keelan, the lady has made her choice," I said smirking.

"Jed," Maxwell said, half whining, half groaning.

"No Max, I'm not coming back."

I could see the desperation in his eyes turn to hatred. Pure hatred. For me.

"See you in the arena." It wasn't even an angry sentence. It was blank. No emotion. He walked off. I've never seen him like this. Stubborn, selfish and cold.

He wants me and Yarrow to separate.

Sorry Maxwell, but my attentions have turned. I don't need you any longer.

JAYMES GERMANDER'S P.O.V

I looked beyond the balcony. I haven't been out in almost a week. I am dying to get some fresh air. I'm almost excited for the arena, just so I can breathe some oxygen from the real world.

I can't sleep. My worst fear is to die in the arena. I'm not a great tribute. So what, I can use a bident? I had a life planned back in District 5. I was supposed to take over in the delivery of solar panels from my Dad. Who's there to do it now?

I miss my family. I want everyone back. Dead or alive. I miss my friends. What happened to Geranium? He's become quite big headed. What about Nancee? She betrayed Pomeline, Haile and me. Why has Pomeline become such a coward?

I could be dead in 12 hours. I just want to live a nice life in District 5. We all get by there. We may not have much of anything, but we all share and work like best friends. I want to be with my friendly District.

What I would give to touch a solar panel again. I came up with an idea of making different shapes panels for the funky houses of the Capitol. Stars, hearts and flowers decorate the rooftops of the rich Panem houses.

The buzz of excitement a few floors below me was awful. All those people, cheering for our deaths. It isn't even a punishment to the Districts anymore. We'd be stupid to rebel. It's just an entertainment factor now

I wonder what everyone is doing in their rooms right now. I bet couples like Zak and Topaz, Jed and Yarrow, and the newly-weds Ivory and Yohan are spending some time together. I bet allies are comforting each other or sorting out last minute tactics for the arena.

I feel truly alone. I wonder if I am the only one who's truly alone. I'm debating suicide to be honest. I'm not going home.

I should get some sleep. I'm not going back to my room though. I'm sleeping out here. I don't want to be trapped with my thoughts in my room.

I let my mind take over as I drifted into a deep sleep full of raging nightmares.