Chapter 38- This Isn't The 1900's

My life felt stupid and pointless. I had to start over and be some new girl. What kind of name is Margaret? This isn't the 1900's.

I couldn't even talk to James. I barely talked to him Friday night and all day Saturday. I was scared to. I was afraid I would tell him and disappoint my mom. I couldn't fail her now.

Sunday morning I had to leave my phone behind. I mean, how was I supposed to bring it? I would risk Bradley finding us and that wasn't an option.

We are currently in some hotel in New York City. My mom figured the city is so big we could easily get lost here, and apparently my parents had a lot of hidden money that could keep us going for awhile.

After I come out of the bathroom, I see Tommy crying on his bed. I walk over and wrap my arm around him.

"Buddy, it's going to be okay," I say.

"She lied to us," he mutters and begins sobbing.

"What?" I reply, now feeling alarmed.

"Mom lied. I heard dad confronting her. Apparently once he gets back from breakfast, he's taking us home," Tommy states.

"Are you KIDDING me? I dyed and cut my hair for this! Do you know how damaging bleach is?" I scream and throw a pillow.

"Sis, we're going home," he says and smiles.

"That means I'll get to see James again," I state and my heart flutters. I thought I would never see him again.

The hotel room starts ringing so Tommy picks it up. A couple minutes later, he hangs up the phone.

"That was dad. He said to pack our bags but then to go explore but be careful. We have to be back by 3 pm," Tommy says.

I look at the clock and it's 10 am right now.

"Can I ask you something?" I question and Tommy nods his head.

"Why'd mom do it? Why'd she lie?" I ask and Tommy lowers his head a little.

"Apparently somehow it helped transferred money into her account with Bradley. It was about money. It's always about money," Tommy answers.

"I'm glad he figured it out right away," I state.

"Me too," Tommy says. We both get dressed, grab our wallets, and head out to explore.

I can't stop thinking about how my mom did this to me, but I felt like I saw it coming. I mean, she left us and she always disappears. Why would she actually care if she always did that? I'm glad my dad figured it out right away. I forever owe him for that.

"Kelsey! Kelsey! Kelsey!" Tommy yells as we walk into times square.

"What? What? What?" I growl as he interrupts  my thoughts and then I see him.

"James?" I ask.

"Your dad called me last night. Oh my God, Kels, I was so worried," he states and hugs me. He grabs me and holds me tightly.

"When you started distancing yourself I got nervous, and then when you never replied Sunday I was frightened. Late last night, your dad called me and filled me in and I told him I had to see you. So, here I am," he says and then he grabs my face and kisses me.

"Ew! PDA!" My brother screams and after I pull away, both James and I laugh.

I gaze into James' eyes and it feels like my dream has come true. Well, there's no snow but hey, it's April. Just being with James is dream.

Over ten years later, I'm sitting on the porch of my new house. I don't know why I'm outside, it's freezing out but when I saw it snowing, for some reason I was just drawn to it and I couldn't stop thinking about James.

Our story was something special. Even though about five months after that day in April, James and I broke up for good, I wouldn't regret a thing. We still talk occasionally and I'm invited to his wedding that's a couple months away.

My boyfriend, Paul, and I just moved into our new house. It's small but it's just the two of us so we don't need much space. I met Paul my sophomore year of college and we started dating my senior year. Obviously, we're in a very serious relationship now.

Anyways, enough about me. Tommy is currently in grad school. He wants to be a math teacher. Why he would ever want to do that beats me, but he seems really excited.

I haven't talked to my mom since we were in New York that April. She has tried to reach out but I never really plan on talking to her again. She made too many mistakes.

My dad ended up marrying Patricia, the non Asian on Asian Mingle. They sold our old house and are in contract on a smaller one, "coincidentally" in the same neighborhood as Paul's and my house.

Kyle and I have briefly talked. Every couple months one of us checks in on the other. I will always care about him but I never gave him another chance at dating. It just never felt right.

Anyways, when I was fifteen I thought James and I would end up together, but sometimes there's multiple loves of your life. Just because someone means the world to you doesn't mean you're always going to be with them. I will always have feelings for James, but when I was with him, that was when I was fifteen.

Okay, and maybe partially fourteen.

The end.