Chapter Eight

'I miss the two of you so much,' Matt said to me and Joel via Skype. I was sat at the counter in Mike's kitchen, with baby Joel on my lap, talking to Matt, who was still in the UK. After a visit from Social Services, threatening to take Joel into care, Mike came up with the idea of me and Joel going to stay with him in upstate New York. Matt wasn't so pleased about the idea at first, but there was no way I was letting the authorities get their hands on my baby.

'We miss you too. I'm sorry about all this babe, but it's for the best. At least until the social decide to back off.'

'That might be months, years from now. Jemma, we can't be apart that long.'

'Im sorry Matt, but I need to put Joel before anything. You should understand.'

'I do understand Jems, I just hate how all this has happened. Look, I gotta go. Talk to you tomorrow. Love you.'

'Okay. Love you too.' I slammed the laptop shut and sighed. Shifting Joel in my arms, I stood up and walked into the family room, where Joe, Mike's younger brother was. Mike was out doing band stuff, so I opted to hang out with Joe instead. I put Joel into his travel cot and watched him snuggle into the giant Tigger toy that Rob and Jordan had bought him from DisneyWorld.

'You okay Jemma?' Joe asked me, pausing the game of FIFA he was playing.

'Yeah, I dunno. I just don't know if being here is the right thing for me and Joel,' I confessed.

'But where would you go?'

'I have a friend in San Diego. She said I could go stay with her for a while, stay by the beach and take some time to figure out what I really want.'

'You mean you don't want to be with Matt anymore?'

'I don't know. He's all I've ever known since being 15 and I love him, but I think I need time away from everything and everyone who could influence my decision.'

'D'you know what I'd do? Go stay with your friend and just stay there until you're 110% sure of what you want. Mike will understand that you need time to sort things out.'

'Thanks Joe. Can you do me a favor?' Joe nodded. 'Can you look after Joel for an hour? I'm just going to nip to the store and get a few things for Joel and me. I'll ring my friend and ask her if we can go stay with her while I'm out.'

'Yeah sure.' I stood up again and began heading upstairs. 'Jemma?'

'Yeah?'

'Only do this if you're sure it's what you truly want.'

'I know Joe. I just need some time to myself without anyone trying to sway me into a decision. And who knows, maybe some time by the ocean will help too.' I smiled and ran upstairs to the guest bedroom, grabbing my shoulder bag and Cheer Up! hoodie. I ran back downstairs and picked Mike's car keys up off the side. 'I won't be long,' I called to Joe as I opened the door and stepped out into the cool fall evening. I jogged to Mike's car, unlocked it and got in, throwing my bag onto the passenger seat, I put the keys in the ignition and started the car.

Fifteen minutes later, I was sat in the parking lot of WalMart. As I got out, I saw Tay and Jordan walking out of the store.

'Hey Jemma,' Jordan called.

'Hey Jordan. Tay.'

'Jemma, can I talk with you?' Tay asked nervously. I shrugged.

'Sure.'

'Um, I'll go put this in the car,' Jordan said, taking the shopping cart and leaving us stood awkwardly eyeing each other.

'Jemma, I'm sorry for what happened. I never meant to hurt you. I was just angry that you wouldn't let Mike see his son.'

'It's alright.'

'Its not. I knew Matt had a girlfriend, but still slept with him anyway. I ruined everything for you.'

'Actually, you did me a favor. I'm going to the West Coast to stay with a friend there to try and figure myself out. I should be thanking you for doing what you did because I needed a break from everything.' I gave her a quick hug.

'Wait! You're leaving?'

'I have to Tay. I can't stay here forever. Who knows? I might be back. No matter where I end up, you'll always be welcome to visit. I'll text you when I get to San Diego and you can come visit after tour.' She smiled.

'I'd like that. You know Mike will be broken hearted, but he'll understand. We'd best get back to out practice space. Mike should be home by 11, so wait until then to leave.'

'I've not even booked plane tickets yet. Just came out to get some things for Joel, then I was gonna book them when I get back.' Tay hugged me.

'Make sure you stay in touch, yeah?'

'Of course. See you around.' I let go and walked into the store.

It was almost 10pm by the time I got back to the Ferri household. Mike's stepdad, Phil, was sat in the kitchen, a bottle of wine on the counter. I placed the bags on the floor and put the Chinese takeout bag on the counter.

'Joe, I got Chinese food,' I called through the house.

'Be down in a mo.' Phil helped me take the cartons out of the bag and poured 3 glasses of wine.

'Joe tells me that you're leaving.'

'Yeah, I just need to find myself and make sure I'm doing the right thing for Joel.'

'You're an amazing mom to him and I'm sure you'll do the right thing.' Joe walked into the kitchen, flopping down next to me and reaching for the special fried rice. 'So, when are you leaving?'

'Hmm, in the next few days. I called Serena and she's in Florida at the moment, but her brother will be there to pick me up at the airport.' I spooned some chow mein onto my plate.

The front door slammed against the wall and Mike stormed into the kitchen.

'Why would you leave?' he yelled. 'Don't I mean anything to you?'

'Mike, sit down,' Phil said.

'Dad stay out of this. Answer me Jemma.'

'Look, I'm leaving because I want to figure out what's best for Joel and I.'

'I'm what's best for him. He needs his dad.'

'Mike, I'm not doing this to hurt you.' I stood up from the table and walked out of the room, heading upstairs. I ran into the guest bedroom and closed the door behind me, throwing myself face down on the bed. A few seconds later, there was a knock on the door. I sighed. 'Mike, I don't want to fight with you.' I heard the door open and somebody shuffle into the room.

'Jemma, please,' Mike pleaded. I rolled over onto my back and looked at him.

'I can't stay. I just need time.'

'No, you're running away from things. That won't solve anything.'

'No Mike,' my voice raised. 'I need to think about everything. Why can't you just accept that?'

'Because..' he spluttered, before pressing his lips onto mine.

*A/N Hey guys. I'm so sorry that this update has been so long in coming, had a serious case of writers block. I'm going to be introducing another band into the mix. Anyone guess who it may be?

Just a heads up, Jemma may end up falling for one of the members of the band. Oops! But we shall wait and see ;).

Hope y'all enjoy this update.

Peace, Kate*