39. Final Round: Davina Claire

Start from the beginning

Nicolette seemed to hear that but just shrugged it off without commenting anything. To my surprise, she walked past us and stood in front of Kendrix's unconscious body, placing her hands on her hips and shaking her head in disapproval. Abruptly, she started dragging his body by his leg towards the edge of the roof and just like that, she pushed him off with a sly smirk crawling on her face. I was shocked at this point and I couldn't really define what I felt that moment; shocked? Confused? Suspicious? Worried? Not only I had to witness that, but the sound of Kendrix's bones cracking as he hit the ground sent shivers down my spine. For a moment I almost forgot he was a vampire and that he would regenerate, holding back my breath.

"Oh he finally shut up," rolled his eyes Kol, a wide smile spreading across his face. "Let's just get over with it, shall we Nicolette? But before I end your pathetic life, I want to know where the white oak is."

She pretended to be thinking, playfully rubbing her chin with her fingers. "White oak, you say? Hm.. You must be talking about this," she pointed, waving a gun in her hand.

Kol scoffed, laughing at her revelation. "A gun? I really start doubting your intelligence, love. That doesn't seem like a white oak to me."

She narrowed her eyes as her brows wiggled in the process, raising the gun. I was already afraid of the fact that this was not going to end well. Nicolette was tilting her head while aiming at Kol's chest, a twisted giggle escaping from her lips. "Oh Kol, Kol, Kol. Wanna test it first?"

And with that, she pulled the trigger.

The deafening sound of the gun made me jump in fright, my eyes darting around in order to catch up with the following events. To my surprise, I saw Kol stumbling back, a frown taking over his face as blood started gushing out of the wound. My eyes widened in terror while my mind was already making up the worst scenarios I could have imagined. "Kol!"

Instead I received an annoyed groan, a look of displease replacing his old facial expression. "Bullets made of white oak. I'm impressed, but that doesn't change the fact I will kill you."

The green-eyed girl cackled, flipping her long hair back in a feminine way. "Oh no, you must have misunderstood me. I am not planning on killing you, Kol. That was just a warning and to slow you down, of course."

We exchanged glances with Kol, both looking extremely confused. She wasn't planing on killing him? But that was what Kendrix said, right? That she wanted to kill him and then herself, so they could be together on the other side. Nothing made sense, just a big fat mess surrounding my thoughts.

"My target from the start.." she said, aiming the gun at me now, "...was you, Davina."

I flinched. If she made the tiniest effort to pull the trigger, I would be dead in a matter of seconds. But honestly, what she said was more rational than what Kendrix said. So he lied to us? To me? But why would he do that? Kol furrowed his eyebrows next to me, glancing once at me and then at Nicolette. Eventually, she laughed, twirling carelessly the gun around her fingers. "Oh I get it. You're confused because of what Kendrix told you? Deep down, I knew I couldn't really trust my brother so I lied to him. Ah, you can't trust anyone in this world, can you?"

"Then why would you take the white oak if you could just kill me with an ordinary stake?" I asked, anger boiling within me.

"To defend myself from Kol, duh! I mean, this is the only way I can protect myself from him. Look at him, Davina; his body is trying to get rid of the white oak in his chest, so right now, one more bullet and poof! Kol will-"

"Oh stop blabbering nonsense," he cut her off and in a blink of an eye he had already pulled the wooden bullet out of his chest, with a few groans following. With a smirk plastered on his face, he threw the bullet away as he watched it falling off the roof top. "You think I can be beaten with a simple bullet? I taught you better than that, 'sweetheart'."