30. Harvest Girl

Davina's POV:

You could call it pure instinct but, I did my best to avoid talking much to Kol the following days.

I had a feeling that, If I talked to him directly, he would see through me and read my thoughts. Of course I tried to act normally, but Kendrix's words were stuck in my mind. I wasn't thinking anything else but those specific words:

"You have to find that toy knight and destroy it as soon as you can before Nicolette gets it."

"Kol mustn't find out about this, okay? Having to deal with an angry Kol won't do any good."

"Remember, you are doing it to save him, right?"

"Davina! For god's sake!" breathed Rebekah and slammed her hand on the coffee table. "Why are you spacing out all the time?"

I raised my head and looked at Rebekah. She looked furious with me and I could only imagine why. Oh wait. She just said it.

"I'm sorry, I was just thinking. What were you saying?" I asked, trying to change the topic.

She hesitated for a moment but in the end she just sighed in frustration, sitting on the couch. "Nothing that mattered, obviously." she murmured.

"Then..can I ask you something?"

She arched an eyebrow, "Sure what is it?"

"Marcel told me once about Klaus' talent in carving...wood. His favorite though, the one he held most dear was a toy knight he made long time ago. Is that true?" I asked, part of me feeling relieved that I finally took this off of me.

Rebekah, on the other hand, seemed suspicious of my abrupt question and furrowed her eyebrows, narrowing her eyes in the process. I mean, she obviously had every right to be taken aback by such a question. And bringing this up out of the blue was totally bizarre but now it was the perfect timing for me to gain some information about that "notorious" toy knight.

"The toy knight? How weird, I thought Marcel didn't know about it.." she muttered to herself and then looked up, staring at me. "Actually, this toy knight was made by Klaus one thousand years ago. He gave it to me well, for personal reasons. I really missed this version of Nik."

"So you have it now?"

She laughed for a moment and then leaned back, grinning. "Of course not. Klaus' gifts don't last. One day, a few centuries later he asked me to give it to him and, since I was so loyal to him back then, I gave it with no second thoughts. But, why are asking about it all of a sudden?"

I bit my under lip. And now what do I tell? I just shrugged my shoulders, trying to play cool. "No reason. I was the other day at Marcel's and we were talking about Klaus' old self. Well he was mostly talking." I said, the words coming out of my mouth fluently.

More and more and more lies.. who am I to judge when it comes to lies anymore? How ironic. The lies escape from my mouth more naturally than telling the truth.

How did I end up like this?

"Oh telling you about the past huh?" she smirked, shaking her head. "Marcel has always been like that. Thinking about the past. What happened in the past. How things have ended up ever since."