Chapter Eight

"Protect your good image from the eyes of negative viewers, who may look at your good appearance with an ugly fiendish eye, and ruin your positive qualities with their chemical infested tongues."

― Michael Bassey Johnson

Juan:

"So...uh...this is my place." I wish I had taken up more time to tidy up the place, but I barely had any visitors which resulted in things like books, papers, and random articles of clothing being sprawled across the room in no clear pattern.

Devin was behind me, so I couldn't tell how she was reacting to the sight of my home; that was until I turned around to look at her.

"It's really big." She commented after a while.

I nodded, "Yeah two bedrooms, two bathrooms, as big as a New York City apartment can get." I joked lightly.

She smiled softly and I cleared my throat.

"I'm using the other bedroom as an office so you can stay in my bedroom for now." I informed her.

Devin's eyes immediately widened as she waved her hands in front of her face.

"Oh no! I can't do that. This is your home...I will sleep on the couch." She suggested.

I shook my head, "I'm not having a lady sleep on the couch when I'm on a bed...I don't sleep all that much anyway, the bed would be more of use to you." I said.

Devin blushed lightly, "I don't want to intrude─." I cut her off.

"You're not intruding, you need help and I am helping you." I stated mater-of-factually.

I honestly think I was doing a lot more than that, but I was keeping that to myself.

It went silent for a moment.

"Where is the restroom?" Devin asked me abruptly.

"Uh...third door to the left." I said as I pointed out the hallway to her.

She thanked me and began walking in the direction of the bathroom before she stopped shortly to speak, "Thank you, detective." She said.

"Please call me, Juan." I corrected her.

She nodded, "Okay." She spun back around and disappeared to the bathroom.

I quickly made my way to my bedroom and began tidying it up as best as I could, I changed the sheets and what not before walking back out to the main area of the apartment only to hear Devin's yell come from the hallway.

My feet automatically took me back into the hall and I stopped as I spotted Devin standing in front of the bathroom door with a fear-struck face. In front of her was Lily happily panting and wagging her tail in glee.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

Devin looked at me nervously, "I'm scared of dogs." She whispered.

I looked at Lily, she seemed happy to have the new company at the house but Devin seemed uncomfortable with having her around so I whistled and Lily immediately was by my side.

"Sorry if she scared you, she's really friendly but if you don't want her around I can keep her away." I said.

Devin shook her head, "No I apologize...I just never had a pet at any time in my life and it is a very different experience for me." I noticed the change in tone of her accent-filled voice.

I scratched the back of my head, "Do you want to pet her? I promise she doesn't bite." I said to her.

She seemed a bit hesitant at first, but she slowly walked up to Lily and I. She hovered her hand above her head with fear. Lily's eyes and snout followed Devin's hand which only resulted in her raising her hand higher above Lily's head.