Chapter 3 ~ Glutton of Pain (Edited)

Tasha

"Hey Mommy," I said twisting the cord on my desk phone.

"What's wrong?"

"How do you always know when something is wrong?"

"I get a feeling when my daughters call me with a hey mommy!"

I couldn't help but smile. "It's been a rough day and I need to see you. I could use a Mommy hug."

Samantha Worthington was the epitome of the perfect wife, mother and country club patron. She had taken Sasha and I in when we were children. Although she was white and people in her circles talked about her especially taking in two black children, she never wavered in her love for us. Being adopted by her and Jackson was the best thing that could have ever happened to us.

The day Rosa hit me with the belt and kicked me, basically leaving me unconscious, Sasha took me to the emergency room and we never went back. The social worker named Ms. Potts from child services came and took us after I was discharged. Ms. Evelyn Potts vowed not to break us up and she kept her promise.

"Oh, I would love to give my baby one. You do know those hugs are available to you free of charge at anytime."

"I get off in a couple hours and I thought we could have lunch. Just you and me."

"Yeah, I would love that sweetie. I will fix something for us since your dad is in Chicago for the week."

"Okay I will see you then. I love you mom."

"I love you too baby. See you soon."

I hung up the phone and put my head on my desk. I took a deep breath as I looked at the papers before me. The team director for Sudan was Dr. Knox Grayson. He was from Sweden and I had heard he was an awesome researcher in the field of infectious diseases.

If I did decide to take this opportunity I would have to leave in two days and I would have to take a leave of absence. I picked up my phone and called my Department Chair. I explained to him what I wanted to do and it was great to have his support. Dr. Reddington Jacobs, who had introduced me to the CDC Physician Exchange said he would monitor my department while I was gone and not to worry about anything.

The hardest part would be telling my parents. I know Sasha would probably be a little taken back but I think she would be on my side. So I called Sasha.

"Hey TT."

"Hey boo. How you feeling?"

"Much better. I will be glad when I am off these horse pills. You know I never liked to take vitamins."

"I know but I promise you will be back to your old self in no time. They are full of everything you need. I know you hate taking any kind of medicine but you have to admit they have helped tremendously."

"I guess you're right. What's wrong TT? I can hear your mind going in a thousand directions. What do you want to tell me?"

"What are you talking about Sasha?"

"My Twinny Powers are going off and it is screaming that you have something to tell me and I can't wait."

I told her about my the incident and then broke the news about Sudan.

She listened and there was a big pause.

"Sasha?"

"TT I don't want you to go. Have you thought this through?"

"Of course I have Sasha. You know me I don't like to sit still. I want to help the people in Sudan. We don't have the same medical problems here as they do. Who knows I could come up with a cure and be rich and famous."