Chapter Twelve.

The Florida October breeze actually felt good against my skin for once. I was on my way over to Evelyn’s to pick out a dress to the Oktoberfest, when I tried to call Nathan. It went straight to voicemail.

The Hell. I thought. Nathan never turns his phone off. Let alone misses any of my calls. I tried calling him again. He picked up by the third ring.

“Hey”

“Hey, what’s up?” I was curious to know what was going on around his end of the phone.

“Uhh.Nothing.” I felt like he was distracted.

“Nathan I sure as hell know that there ain’t nothin’ going on ova’ there.” There goes my Ebonics.

“Necole-I… Can you be quite for a second?-Necole I promise you-”

“Who the hell is over there Nathan?”

“Shit-Necole there’s no one-”

I hung up the phone and remembered to turn it off just in case this guy tries to call me back. I couldn’t let him bum my mood. I was going to the dance with or without Nathan. I looked around remembering the features of Evelyn’s neighbourhood. Thank God it was better than mine when it came to Thugs. I came right up to her house and knocked on the door. Her mother was always into gardening. The patio was filled with all types of flowers and plants.

“Necole! Sweetie I haven’t seen you in so long!” Mrs. Pace threw open the door and hugged me. He hair was up in a messy bun. I hated Evelyn for having her mother’s hair. She was part Colombian and part Black, which was a beautiful combination to me. You should see Evelyn’s brothers.

“Hey Mrs. Pace.” I greeted hugging her back.

“I told you Necole, Call me Jaclyn.”

“Ok Mrs. Jaclyn, but you know where I can find Evelyn?”

“She’s up in her room, you know the way.” She closed the door behind me. I loved the ambiance of this house. It was gorgeous. It was pretty ironic to find one of this houses in  the middle of the hood. I walked up the stairs to go find Evelyn.

“Evelyn?” I  say walking into her huge room. The colors were gold and purple, with her enormous furniture, this girl had it good. I sat on her bed. I should come over more often.

“Ev?” I looked around her room and my eyes stopped at the closed bathroom door. I walked up and knock on it. “ Evelyn?”

“Go away.”

“Ev, what’s going on?” I tried to open the door. Locked. Damn it.

“Not now Necole, just go away, please.”