Chapter 5

Chapter Five

The one thing which drew Evie to Colby at the rescue centre was his innate ability to make her smile and feel at complete ease by just staring at him. Those big brown eyes, looking like they could stare into her soul and read her utmost deepest thoughts. She was captured.

Colby relaxed straight away into his brand new red VW Campervan look-a-like dog bed, one of Evie’s greater ideas. He was chewing away at the gigantic raw hide bone when Evie felt another buzz coming from her pocket. 

RYAN.

Heading down to Serenade at 8 for a bevvy with a few of the guys from work, wanna join? x

Evie looked up at Colby and felt guilty for considering to leave him on their first night together. Torn, because of how much of a good friend Ryan has been she texted him right back.

Just got my new pooch, Colby. It’s his first night at my place tonight, I have a few drinks in if you and your pals want to come around for a few, and a doggy-cuddle :) - E x

Looking at her new companion again. “You might have a new friend or two by tonight, Col.” She received a lovable lick on her cheek. Before too long, Ryan’s name had flashed on the phone once again.

See you in an hour then? Cannae wait dude x

Just what Evie needed, she thought. A night-in with the guys, music pumping, drinks flowing, watching a good typical boy film with some good laughs. She realised she hadn’t cleaned her flat in a week; it could easily be mistaken for Beirut, she laughed.

Climbing to her feet, Evie scurried over to her mother followed swiftly by Colby. “Mum, I’m going to have to get home and clean up. Ryan and a few others are popping around.” She said whilst grabbing around for her jacket before eagerly fastening it. 

“Leaving so soon? I haven’t even fed you yet!?” Evie’s mother was a feeder, easily mistaken by many for an italian.

“M’not a child, mum. I was going to put something in the oven when I get in.” Evie said with a subtle hint of sarcasm.

“I didn’t mean you, Evie.” Her mother said, eyes drifting over towards the new dog.

“Okay, okay.. fine! I’ve clearly been bin-bagged for the dog. Just feed him, so I can go.” Evie demanded, trying to conceal a smirk.

* * *

Having arrived at her flat, Colby in tow, within the next twenty minutes - it was time to get to work. Evie rampaged the small living space which by the look of the amount of clothes which occupied the majority, looked like she had two more very fashion-conscious roommates. She huffed.

Evie set down the remainder of the dog supplies in her bedroom, making sure the things Colby would need within the next few hours were readily available. She set off on her mission to make the flat seem appropriate within the next thirty minutes. Clothes were launched as if catapulted from one room to another. Every dirty dish, whether it be porcelain or plastic was flung into the dishwasher. Evie could not care less at this point, she took a breathe from her effort interrupted by her phone buzzing out of the corner of her eye.

RYAN.

On our way. See you in about five babe x

“Shit, they’re early.” Evie cursed, raising her hand to her head. Five minutes to make herself look presentable. “Challenge accepted.” She said whilst smirking at Colby.

She ran into her bedroom, clutching onto the wardrobe doors and pulled out an outfit which consisted of a ripped band tee covering a red vest underneath, black skinny chinos which would all fit in with the pumps she already had out, at the foot of her bed. “Phase one - complete.” Evie exclaimed, whilst fist-pumping the air. She ran to the mirror and noticed her hair was windswept. Grabbing the curling tongs, she quickly attempted to make the beehive-mock into more of a well-groomed style. 

 The doorbell rang.

Author's note: All characters throughout this story are fictional and are of my own creation. Being one of my first stories, my apologies if there are mistakes. Please give feedback, comments and vote :) Your support is very much appreciated. THANK YOU! :)