Thirty-One

||Thirty-One||

Robert walks through the front door with Dom and Justin in tow. Dom's carrying two bags of food, one in each hand, and Justin is carrying a twelve pack of beer and a bottle of liquor is tucked underneath his arm. My eyes linger on him for a second longer than I like and I catch myself staring when Dom blocks my line of view.

"Honey," Rob sings, "I'm home." He leans forward and kisses Jade's forehead.

From my spot on the couch, I watch as the trio walk into the living room. Dominic sets the bags of food down on the coffee table and then turns toward Jade. "What's up green?" he greets, grinning at his not so clever nickname for our friend. He kisses her cheek and then turns to me. "Immy, baby." He says as he spreads his arms wide open. I roll my eyes and lean forward, hugging him back.

"Hey Dommy."

From the corner of my eye I watch Justin hugs Jade and then turns to me. He nods in greeting and I do the same.

"We brought Chinese food," Dom says, "Extra fortune cookies."

"We also brought beer and tequila." Justin adds, sitting down on the loveseat opposite of the one I'm sitting in.

"What are we watching?" Dom asks, plopping himself down onto the spot next to Jade.

Justin gives Dom a look and shakes his head when he notices that Dom wasn't going to take the beer and tequila into the kitchen. He sighs and gets up, grabbing the beer and tequila and walking in the direction of the kitchen.

"Currently, Keeping Up with the Kardashians."

"Ok, we need to find a movie." Dom chuckles.

Jade and Dom begin to bicker as they fight over the remote. Rob emerges from the part of the house where the bedrooms are at and takes the remote from both Jade and Dom. They both stop bickering, look up at Rob and glare.

"My house, my remote." Rob grins as he hop's the back of the couch and sits next to his girlfriend.

"Excuse you, it's my house too." She replies snatching the remote from his hand.

Robert laughs and quickly pecks her lips.

For a split second, my eyes flicker in the direction of the kitchen. I spot Justin sitting at the island with a beer in his hands, and it's suddenly five years ago and we're at a party and I spot him across the room and my heart begins to flutter and it dawns on me that he's mine. He's mine and I can picture myself spending the rest of my life with him. But it's five years later, and he's no longer mine, and I have someone new that I can see myself spending the rest of my life with but he's still there. Justin's still there and I don't know what to do.