Six

||Six||

"What are you doing up?" Jade asks, her soft voice scaring me. "It's four in the morning." Glancing over my shoulder, I notice my best friend standing at the front door, blanket wrapped around her shoulders.

"I couldn't sleep." I admit.

I hear her slippers shuffling across the wooden floor of the veranda that wraps around her beach home. Sitting next to me, the swing sways as she lifts her own legs onto the seat and turns her body so she's facing me. "What's on your mind?"

Staring at the rolling waves, I chew on the inside of my cheek, and sigh. "A lot of things are on my mind, J."

Nudging my thigh with her foot, I look away from the ocean and meet her gaze. "Is that all you're going to give me? Seriously? C'mon give me something."

I exhale and push strands of my hair behind my ear, "Is he going to be there?" I ask my best friend, deciding to get straight to the point rather than give her a list of everything that has been running through my mind since the moment I landed in California.

Being away from work and not seeing Jackson was one thing, but being back in my home state and hanging out with the people he hung out with was an entirely different thing. He's Rob's best friend, and Rob's friends were Jade's friends, and they were all going to be at her birthday party.

I can see the wheels beginning to turn in the back of Jade's eyes. She inhales deeply and holds it in for a few seconds before releasing it, "Yes," she replies. "He is going to be there."