Eight

||Eight||

"So what is exactly that you do?" Allie, a brunette with big eyes, asks me.

"I'm a Veterinarian," I tell her. "I run a clinic in San Antonio, Texas."

"Oh how fun!" she exclaims, "I love animals. What kinds of animals do you treat?"

I push strands of hair behind my ear before replying, "All types. Dogs, cats, horses, pigs, goats."

"Wow!"

Allie was nice but for some reason there was something off about her that I couldn't quite name. Maybe it was her high pitched voice, or her giant bug eyes that threw me off.

How did I even start talking to her?

"What do you do?" I ask before raising my drink, now a frozen margarita, to my lips. I was taking full advantage of the open bar and even though I knew I shouldn't be mixing my liquors, I couldn't give less of a damn.

"Oh I don't work. I'm a freshman at UCLA," she tells me.

"So how do you know Jade?"

"Oh, I don't." she laughs. "I'm actually part of a wedding happening on the first floor but I heard there was a birthday party going on and Robert Lawley was here so I snuck in."

I slowly nod and finish my drink. Handing Allie the ice filled glass, I give her a wide smile, "Well it was nice talking to you. Enjoy the party."

"You to!" Allie yells out after me as I turn away and head towards the open bar. I weave in and out of some crowded parts of the rooftop and exhale when I make it to the bar. The bartender smiles when he sees me and gives me the universal gesture to wait a second. After he's finished serving the group of girls down at the end of the bar, he walks in my direction.

"I hope you didn't drive here," he says with a laugh.

Giving him a toothy grin, I take a seat on the stool, "I have a room."

Brian, the blonde guy who has been making my drinks for the last two hours, raises his eyebrows and chuckles, "Well then I guess that's convenient." He clears his throat, "So what will it be this time? Another frozen margarita or are you changing it up again?"

Placing my fist underneath my chin, I ponder for a moment, "How about you surprise me this time?"

Nodding, Brian turns away and gets to work. I watch as he shuffles ice into a small cup and grabs a bottle of vodka. I look away then and look over the party that's in full swing. The DJ is playing some mainstream party song and everybody is either dancing, drinking, conversing, or doing all three at the same time.

I spot Bash, Jade's older brother, and his wife, Bethany talking with Jade and Robert.

I spot Dom taking shots with a group of guys, and Brie and Tony dancing midst the crowd on the dance floor.

And then, I spot him.