Chapter 2 - Canceled

I give a nervous laugh, reaching down to grab my phone. My fingers fumble for the lost iPhone, scraping against the leather seats as I try to avoid eye contact with Sam. “You do? Well that’s a relief...” I add sarcastically, my eyes skimming over the crack. I spot the flash of the screen and reach down.

“Sarcasm?” He grins, leaning on the edge of the window, his gaze settled on me. I keep my mouth clamped, not answering. I catch the edge of the phone and put it to my phone.

“Hello? Nettles?” Reba comes through the phone, I hold up my finger for Sam, gesturing him to wait.

“Yes sorry dropped the phone.” I give another nervous laugh.

“Is he right there?” Reba could sense it now, the small distress in my voice.

“Yes.” I answer, Sam gives me an eyebrow raise.

“Call me later alright?” Reba answers. “Act friendly.”

“Alright see you later, bye.” I hang up and turn to Sam, sorting my act out. I take a breather and lean back into the seat, relaxing myself in the comfortable heat. “What did you want?”

“Got a place to stay?” He asks, titling his head to the side. 

“I do.” I force a grin, shoving the phone in my pocket. “Sorry to burst your bubble, charmer.”

“Well that sucks, take care.” Sam taps the window, shoving his hands in the overcoat and walking off, the lamp posts reflecting against his broad shoulders. His slim body gave him the appearance to be tall. Cocking my head, I rolled my eyes around his body, enjoying the sight of it.

What if...

I grab my phone and dial Reba’s number, shutting the window and letting the heat flood the chilly car. 

“You need to get out. I’m preparing the death papers right away and booking you on the earliest flight tomorrow.” Reba answers, without so little as a greeting. But I was used to it, keeping my eyes on Sam.

“No. Don’t.” I answer sharply, seeing Sam turn a block and disappear behind a sycamore tree.

“Why not?” Reba replies.

“I can get close to him and then kill him. It’s going to be a lot easier for me. Get the papers ready but don’t declare my death just yet.” I hang up the phone because I know Reba would disagree to this. This wasn’t in the terms and conditions I’ve signed ages ago.

I open the door and then shut it, running up to Sam. My phone begins to ring again but I close it, turning the corner and running up to him. He hasn’t heard me yet, but I stand on the corner of the street, a smile along my face as I call out to him. 

He turns around. I pull the phone out of my pocket and give it a firm shake. “Guess my plans have just gotta canceled.” I smirk, seeing his eyes light up.