Chapter 1: The Beginning of a Beginning

11 Years Later, London

Eight o'clock. That's the time when I bolted awake in complete shock, as the alarm at my nightstand blared in its vicinity. I groaned and tried to go back to sleep.

But unfortunately, that was not meant to be.

"Subha Patel," the voice of Daphne Blake came out from behind my closed bedroom door, "If you do not get up right this instant, I will have Delilah pour a bucket of ice cold water over you!"

"But it's August!" I moaned. "Why can't I sleep in?!"

"Subha, if you really want to go to Hogwarts and study there, then I'd suggest practicing to wake up early!"

"Alright, I'm coming....."

I stumbled out of bed and dragged myself to the bathroom. In the mirror, my normally wavy black hair was in complete shambles and my color changing eyes were set on black, like they were every morning.

I then whipped up a small ball of water into my hand and slapped it in my face, waking me up instantly. Having control over elemental powers really had its perks in addition to being a witch.

After I took a shower and got dressed, I went downstairs to get breakfast. No one else was down except for Nan, Daphne, and Ginny.

"I still can't believe mum let me stay over for the summer," said Ginny Weasley. The ginger that was my best friend put some scrambled eggs onto her plate as she added, "Morning, Subha."

"Hey, Gin."

"It kind of sucks that Sakura could only stay for a week though. At least we got to visit Diagon Alley before she had to head back to Japan."

"Yeah." I picked up a muffin from the basket in the middle of the table and took a bite. "By the way, where in blazes is everyone else?"

"Daisy, Dawn, Delilah and Dorothy just left," said Daphne. My twenty-two year old adoptive sister put down the newspaper that she was reading and sighed. Her orange hair fell down in wavy locks on her shoulders. "There's way too many paparazzi these days."

"What is it this time?" asked Ginny, concerned.

"They won't shut up about my older designs. I mean, yeah, they're good but come on!"

"That's one of many perks of being a famous fashion designer, honey," said Aunt Nan. My adoptive mother pursued her lips and crossed her legs. It was strange that she was here. Usually it was always me and Daphne in the manor for as long as I could remember and believe me, I have bit of a long memory.

I should mention that if you've met Daphne or any of my adoptive sisters and saw Nan, you wouldn't have mistaken her for anyone else other than a Blake. In fact, she shared more of a resemblance to Daphne than the rest of the bunch. You could say I was the odd one out in terms of looks, but considering that I was adopted into the family, that wasn't exactly surprising.

I raised an eyebrow. "Daph, have you hit a bit of a dead end?"

Daphne sipped her coffee in a brooding manner. "Maybe. But I need to get to work early today. The amount of paperwork—" she glanced at the grandfather clock behind Aunt Nan, which struck nine. "Oh Jeepers, I have to run!" She kissed my forehead and rubbed Ginny's hair before grabbing her folder and ran out the door. "Be good you two!"