Prologue

Please Enjoy and Vote!

Prologue

                He was driving home, coming up the normally busy northbound expressway 15, when the storm started. And twenty minutes into the downpour, as he turned off on to his exit, the asphalt becoming gravel, he was sure that he should have pulled over and waited out the worst of the storm on the shoulder of the road. But no sooner were his thoughts passing through his mind, when a bolt of lightning came heralding down in front of his car, not more than twenty feet forward. And as the lightning faded, and his vision blurred, a woman poorly dressed, clutching her hands to her breast, appeared out of nowhere.

                There was no time, no warning. He hit her straight on before he could stop. The look of fear in her eyes, but also a sad acceptance that there was nothing she could do, with what was about to happen, the last thing he saw as she disappeared and the car came to a halt. Shaking, his knees weak and nearly useless, he stepped from the wreckage of his car and realized as an afterthought, that the downpour had suddenly slowed. He saw her lying there with the light of his headlights, wet. But it struck him as odd, for she barely had a stitch of water to her person and they were out in the middle of woodlands? Shaking his head, he hobbled closer, hoping, praying that she would be alright…

                Reaching her, reaching down to search for any sign of life…he was shocked at the beauty that lay before him. Riotous blonde curls that fanned her features, flushed cheeks and raspberry lips…she couldn’t have been more than in her twenties? So young… He pulled her arms, carefully back from her chest. And though the woman’s heart beat no more, the infant in them, whaled in fear and need.

The night I was born…  

© 2011 Aelfwynn MacGregor, AMB