Chapter 17: Memories Never Fade

Start from the beginning

I violently shook my head in disbelief. No! It wasn't true. Dante couldn't be dead. I refused to believe it.

Johnny snorted, "I told you she wouldn't believe he was dead".

"I was counting on it. Bring him down!" Tristan shouted.

Footsteps shuffled across the floor from above us. Two men carried a large body down the stairs. I gasped when they threw the man onto the floor. Tristan bent down and turned him over. His once loving blue eyes coldly stared back at me. My eyes quickly gazed over his stiff body that was covered in blood.

I immediately jumped out of bed screaming from shock.

Two large arms wrapped tightly around my body and pulled me into his hard, muscular chest. I spun around in his embrace and pressed my face into his chest. I forced myself to listen to his steady heartbeat. I needed assurance that he was still very much alive.

"What's the matter baby?" he whispered into my ear. It sent chills down my spine despite my already shaking body from the nightmare.

"You- you were de- dead," I managed to stutter out.

"It's okay. It was just a bad dream. I'm still here."'

"But it felt so real Dante."

One of his hands lifted from my waist and started to sweep down my hair in a soothing manner. I closed my eyes and inhaled his musky scent. It seemed to be the only thing that kept me calm.

"We need to have a meeting. I'm never going to be able to sleep until we resolve the hunter issue. I think I might have a plan."

"Okay, in the morning I will call everyone to my office. Right now you need to get back to sleep."

"No, I'm never going to get back to sleep. I think I will go make myself some tea."

"Why don't I join you?"

"No, it's okay. You go back to bed and get at least another couple hours of sleep."

"Are you sure?"

"I'll be fine."

He sighed but reluctantly got back into our bed as I walked out of the room. The house was dead quiet. It was four in the morning. The kitchen was dark before I switched on one of the lights. I grabbed the kettle and filled it with water from faucet.

I softly hummed to myself while I waited for the kettle to heat up. I leaned my body against the counter. My eyes were slowly closing. I barely slept these days and it was taking a toll on me.

"Rough night?" a gruff voice broke me out of my spell.

My head snapped up to see Cooper leaning against the wall. He was curiously looking me over and taking in my tired appearance. His emotions finally settled on worry and his eyebrows knitted together. Despite our previous fight last week, Cooper and I had actually gotten closer once he quickly forgave me for humiliating him.

"You're up early."

"Couldn't sleep, you?"

"Nightmare. Would you like some tea?" I asked as the water began to boil. He nodded so I pulled out an extra mug from the cabinets along with another teabag.

"Want to talk about it?" he offered after I handed him the mug full of tea.

"I am just worried about the hunters. I actually have a good plan but I already know Dante will turn it down once he hears I want to put myself in danger."

Cooper cracked a small smile, "You definitely won't be getting him to agree with you then. What were you thinking of doing?"

"Giving myself up to the hunters so that they will put me with the other Alphas."