"You didn't," I blurted, turning my body towards her.

The elevator's atmosphere chilled about twenty degrees. The two bodyguards stayed silent and facing the metal doors. Harry didn't make a move towards me.

"I didn't do anything," she assured.

"Where are Sal and Robbie?"

"They were let go. Three days ago."

"Why?" I all but shrieked.

"Jess, please."

I could tell she felt some remorse, but I wasn't all that sure of the reason for it. Did she feel bad for not telling me, or for firing them?

I opened my mouth to fight some more, but didn't when Harry placed a hand on my arm.

"Did you know?" I asked him.

"No, but I—I'm not surprised," he said.

I didn't have the chance to ask him to elaborate because the elevator doors opened up. I gave him a long look instead, silently promising his that his conversation was not over.

As we walked closer and closer to the parking garage, my anxiety started kicking in a little. Though a week wasn't all that long, it was an extremely long period of time without flashing cameras in my face.

"There shouldn't be any close range paparazzi. There might be fans—you know it's hard stopping them," Jane assured me.

I just shrugged. Harry squeezed my hand, and I didn't squeeze back. Reasonably so, I was pissed off now that I knew what happened with Sal and Robbie.

One of the security guys swung open the parking garage door and immediately started barking, "Back it up, guys. Back it up."

There were maybe ten fans who were extremely calm. They weren't grabby, and they responded to security's requests. In fact, the only sound coming from them came from one or two fans who were whispering my name.

Hidden behind my sunglasses and baseball cap, I told them I loved them and climbed into the awaiting SUV.

The fourteen minutes it took to get to the suburban neighborhood of my early years, felt like three times that. I couldn't prepare myself for the emotions that would hit me when I saw that empty driveway.

My jaw clenched in an effort to hold back the emotions.

Eventually, the SUV came to a rolling stop along the curb.

"Give me ten minutes," I told Jane and Harry.

I didn't wait to hear if they were going to fight me on it or just comply. I closed the door behind me and walked up the steps to my porch.

My eyes landed on the barren spot beside the welcome mat. Typically, there would be two pairs of overused running shoes next to it.

I grabbed the house key from my pocket. I took it as a positive sign that it only took me one try to unlock the door.

I stepped inside and took in a deep breath. This house felt—and even smelled—the same as I remember.