Chapter 25: Full Speed Ahead

I don't regret a thing,

Alfred thought, seeing himself surrounded by nothing but darkness. He opened his mouth and called out, "Hello?! Anyone there?!"

When there was no answer he wasn't surprised, but he still called again, "Am I dead?! Did I really just die?!"

Light crept over Alfred and he narrowed his eyes in shock, "Whoa, who turned the lights back on?"

"It's so good to see you again, love."

Alfred turned around to see a gorgeous woman with long hair the same color as Arthur's, and eyes emerald green.

"Aren't you Alice?" Alfred mused, "Arthur's mom?"

"That's right," Alice smiled and held a hand out.

Alfred sighed and set his own hand in hers, "Then I am dead. That doesn't seem very fair. Now how am I going to be with Arthur?"

"Who said you were dead?"

Alfred glanced up at Alice, confused, "But you're dead, and I see you. I can touch you," he tightened his grip on Alice's hand, "That has to mean I'm dead, right?"

"Of course not," Alice chuckled, "I'm here because you've entered a kind of stasis, or coma."

"I'm in a coma?! That's even worse than being dead!"

Alice laughed out loud, shaking her head, "No, child! Your body was badly injured, so you're mind has gone into stasis until it has healed. There's no need to worry, I'll make sure you wake up."

"So I'm not dead?"

"No, just unconscious."

Alfred sighed, "Thank god. Arthur must be in so much pain."

"He blames himself for what happened," Alice said quietly, releasing Alfred's hand, "The poor boy is devastated. He thinks you're dead."

"What?! Aren't the doctor's saying anything?!"

"Not to him," Alice smiled, "Don't worry. You'll see him again."

"When? Can't I wake up now?"

"In time, love," Alice said, "You need to give yourself time to heal and recover."

"But I want to see Arthur."

"You will. Just be patient. You know how when you sleep and dream, it feels like it's been forever when it's only been a few hours?"

"Yea."

"And likewise, sometimes when it feels like it's only been a moment, it's been almost a day?"

"Yea."

"Well, it's like that."

"So I'll either be asleep for a week and think it's been a month or sleep for a month and think it's been a day?"

"Precisely."

"Hell no! Let me wake up!" Alfred rejected, stomping his foot, "Seriously, I need to wake up! I need to be with Arthur!"

"What's the first thing he ever said to you?" Alice asked, changing the subject.

Alfred hesitated, "Um....'it's fine'."

Alice rolled her eyes, "No, that's not what I meant. The first thing he ever said to you."

"You mean when I knew him before? I don't know. I don't remember."

"Let me help then," Alice said, stepping forward and setting her hand over Alfred's eyes.

Memories flashed in his eyes and he gasped, watching his past play out like a movie. He saw himself with Arthur as their parents set them down, joy on their faces.