Rooftop fun

Cameron’s P.O.V.

I sat there and started fidgeting on my seat. Victoria suddenly got up and walked into the study where Maddy and Ethan was. I sat there for a second before hearing shouting and banging come from the study. I got up and kicked open the door. Maddy was limp in Victoria’s arm. On seeing me she dropped Maddy on the floor and came over to me smiling. She went to slap me but I caught her arm before she swung. I pushed her down and kicked her against the wall. I went to get Maddy when I heard a gun click.

‘Cameron, don’t move any closer to her’ Ethan shouted

‘You’re her father, you shouldn’t let this bitch hurt her’ I shouted back. I kept a small eye on Victoria making sure she didn’t get me from behind.

‘My daughter, you make me laugh. No she’s my wife’s big mistake. The truth might as well come out. My wife had an affair with a man while she was in New York. She came back after two weeks announcing that she was pregnant saying the kid was mine. I knew she wasn’t mine. We hadn’t done it yet, so I plotted against her. She had the baby and after Maddy got brought home I killed my wife. Maddy grew up thinking she died at birth. Now Michael will pay much to have his daughter back’ he finished. His daughter, no it can’t be.

‘What no, I’m an only child’ I shouted.

‘No Michael isn’t even your father, just like my wife, your mother had an affair. It should be all clear now Cameron. You don’t remember what happened before you were 5 do you. When the men came to kill your mother, they didn’t have a feud with your father; your father set them on your mother’. No it can’t be true; my head’s bursting with so much information. I felt tears start to form behind my eyes and fall down my cheeks.

‘Face it Cameron, your world is now tearing at the seams and everything is coming back into your pretty little head’ he laughed out loud.

‘Cameron’ Maddy moaned I leaned down and held her hand.

‘You won’t take Maddy again’ I shouted and picked her up. Ethan flicked the gun at me.

‘Shoot me then. I don’t care’ I shouted and started walking out the room. I kicked Victoria back down and left the room. I stood for a second before hearing a gun shot, then another. I lay Maddy on the ground and went back into the study. Ethan was lying on the floor still holding the gun while Victoria was sitting against the wall with a hole through her head. He killed her then himself. Why did he do that? I couldn’t stand the sight anymore. I left the room to find Maddy crawling over to the door.

‘What are you doing?’ I asked as I walked over to her.

‘Michael will be coming, we need to get out’ she spoke quietly.

‘Maddy stop moving for a second so I can pick you up. The drug is still in your system. You look like you’re about to pass out’ I said and picked her up bridal style. I looked down at her.

‘Cameron do you think it’s true?’ she asked. I could only think she was referring to before.

‘I don’t know Maddy, I wish I did’ I breathed out. I carried her out the door and into the night. Darkness was falling quickly. I went round the side and found a garage. I pulled open the door and walked in. a small box in the corner held the two keys. I picked one up and pressed the small button. The car at the far end made a being sound and opened. I lay Maddy across the back seat and got in the front. Driving to the hotel took longer than I thought, even at night the streets are busy. I carried Maddy inside and brought her up to our room. Apart from the change of sheets the room hadn’t been touched. I lay Maddy on the bed and got in next to her. She muttered something before turning over, her nose inches away from mine. I closed my eyes and went to sleep.